Any good places to live near Dallas, Tx for animals?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Mar 31, 2011.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Any good places near Dallas that are still affordable and have farms? What are the best places, pros and cons, taxes etc.. etc.... Why do you like it.... etc

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

No TXen's out there today??? [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    I have an uncle in Forney,TX about 20 mins from dallas, lots of nice houses with BIG lots to have animals out there

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been hunting, off chance DH manages to land a teaching position at the school he's getting his masters at... to get decent land prices, and be free to actually use the land as you want... there's a heck of a commute. But that's to Irving specifically... if you're talking East Dallas then that's trimmed down a lot... or North... or South... Irving just happens to be in the exact wrong spot for a short commute.

Don't need an actual address or anything but if you could narrow it a little bit it'd help. [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well one of hubbys works main office is on Bryan Street, in Dallas TX. So I am looking for around an hour circle around there or so. Never been there, don't know anything about anywhere near there..... [​IMG]

6. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Now I don't know for sure how far, but Ennis, Texas Seems to be a great little town, My XH's family was from there. I like the countryside. Friendly folks. Maybe you could do some looking in that area. I think I-45 would be the way your dh would commute. I would imagine the cost of living would be comparable to Palestine. Everything is getting more expensive by the day it seems. But I do think every thing would be cheaper than Florida, I do have a sister outside of Clearwater. Google real estate in that area, you might be pleasantly surprised. There probably would be rural rental housing. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Micah

7. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    Go west of Ft Worth and the land is still pretty cheap. Since you're from Fl you'll be used to the blast furnace climate.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

West of Fort Worth is nice, but you're talking a hella commute... just to Ft Worth is quite horrid, can't imagine all the way to Dallas... on I-30... *shudder*

If Google isn't lying to me than Bryan St is just a pinch East and North of dead center downtown...

So you could come South on 75 from Richardson/Plano/Allen and/or surrounding smaller towns... Weston for instance Google figures is 57-68 minutes, up to 100 in deep traffic.

or you could come in West on 30/67 from Rowlett/Rockwall and/or surrounding smaller towns... such as Quinlan and Google says that'll run you 51-61 mins.

or you could come in North on 45 from someplace like Ferris and it'll only take 28 mins... if all goes well.

Donno much about any of those areas except driving times... Ferris just based on driving would be my choice as I loathe traffic, but I donno doodly about Ferris as a place to live, price ranges, schools, etc. Quick Google search brought up a wikipedia entry here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferris,_Texas and a city site here http://cityofferris.org/index/ that might be worth some snooping?? If that doesn't suit maybe google the other small towns around there... maybe try 'real estate, ferris tx" for some idea of typical home pricing?

We're West of Dallas, over in Arlington, and that's as close as I like to get to Dallas... so really I'm just not much help at all... but hopefully maybe a teensy bit.

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I think Centerville. It would be a bit !! of a drive about 1 1/2 hours. But hey I love it here. Good luck on you new adventure

piecemaker

10. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well my experience has been Texas=commute. However, their laws are a lot less strict about farm animals. It's not unusual to see cattle right next to the Post Office. And just as you leave Dallas heading south is a cattle lot. Red Oak, Cedar Hills, Alvarado, might be a consideration. Ennis may be a bit of a drive but they do sell alcohol to the public, some towns are a dry town resulting in a commute to another town. Grapevine, they have a racetrack for horses and a clinic. Anyway, hope this helps you some, enjoy TX. You'll have fun, be sure to go to the Fort Worth Stock Show!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by