1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any good rooster stories?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ender262, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ender262

ender262 New Egg

Feb 13, 2008
    We have a NH Red rooster who is 20 wks old and beautiful. He was not in the plan- we only wanted hens, but... So far so good- he's not been aggressive towards myself or my children. He's frisky with the hens but doesn't seem overly aggressive. I am hoping this works out, but it seems like everyone on here has a story about a good rooster turning bad. Any experience with a rooster staying livable? Would I know by 20 weeks or can they turn nasty in a heartbeat later? He's been crowing for several weeks now, so some of the hormones have already kicked in I guess...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Quote:My Buff Orp rooster remained sweet throughout his short life. When we moved we gave him to a friend and neighborhood dogs killed him.[​IMG]

We named him King David. During thunderstorms he would crow after the thunder. I guess that he was telling the Great Thunder Chicken who was boss.[​IMG]

3. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I have a 5 year old Buff Orpington Rooster who we bought from a local feed and seed store. His owners boyfriend had beat him severely and almost killed him. He has LONG spurs and one of those was broke off almost even with his leg, his comb was torn loose from his head in one area, he could barely walk and couldn't get up when the girl brought him to the guy at the feed and seed. We went to buy some silkies there and DH fell in love with the massive rooster! WE came home without him that day but the next day on the way home from karate class DH stopped and bought the poor rooster. The feed and seed owner said he didn't think the rooster was going to make it, that he thought it was brain damaged. Well we brought him home and after letting him hang out for about 2 weeks we put him in with our Jersey Giant chicks. Would you believe that when we went out that night to separate them that the rooster had these 8 week old babies under his wings sleeping?!!! Soooo sweet! He still protects them and watches them and they are 15 weeks old now. 3 roos and 2 pullets but they all belong to the BO rooster who thinks he is their momma!

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

awww... kellim, that was such a sweet story. I'm glad that poor fella found someone who would care for him and treat him well; it sounds like he had a LOT to overcome. I'm glad you were there for him, and it sounds like he's a sweetheart. Maybe he's also showing his appreciation for your saving him as you and DH have. Enjoy him and his special qualities!

5. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    We also have a "surprise" roo (Black Australorp). We got our day-old "pullets" from our local Blue Seal store. Several weeks later, we realized that one of our "pullets" was much more advanced with the comb and waddle growth. When Henrietta attempted to crow (more like a screech at first), we know for sure that "Henrietta" is a "Henry".

We absolutely LOVE our Henry, who is now 18 weeks old. He is so sweet. He is a gentleman, letting his girls have their treats - when he does get one, they usually take it from him. They like to peck the leftover yogurt off of his waddle. We love hearing him crow, as well as his antics. My kids have told me that he is their favorite chicken and could not imagine life without him. I agree! [​IMG]

6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    I've got a rooster story. It involves a Mean Mean Mean broody hen with chicks and an old RIR rooster.

All of my chickens were free ranging on my 6 acres. I'm going out to collect eggs and I walk PAST this mutt broody hen. She has 5 babies with her and I give her plenty of space so she won't feel endangered. And she is loose as well so she could go anywhere. That darn hen proceeds to attack me and lo and behold, my RIR rooster comes out of nowhere and gets the hen off of me! I proceed to walk in the coop and come out with my bucket full of eggs and that darn hen attacks me again! Here comes my RIR again to get her off of me. He got a special handful of treats that day, and the hen went in the pot due to having such an evil temper. Even when she didn't have chicks to protect, she would go out of her way to attack everything. (horses, dogs, cats, children and even me)

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I picked up Caleb as a 1 year old boy who I heard pecked the eyes and fought with his own dad at his previous home. My head roo had just died due to a pred taking him during the night (was a buff silkie). He got here, was scared out of his mind, but I've had him going 3 years now and he's never shown an aggressive bone in his body. He's here to stay and live out his life with the girls. He may be 10.5 lbs, but now that he knows he's top roo, he's gentle with his hens and defends them against the younger flighty hormone driven leghorn roos that are headed for the pot soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by