Any good sugggestions for a mean (protective) broody ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazychicken, Feb 25, 2009.

1. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    I have finally gotten a broody but she has become the meanest thing there is she is sitting on a lot of fake eggs and one or two or who knows how many eggs. I do not want her to hatch those tho because I am getting other eggs for her Friday. I went out tonight and wearing gloves I tried to reach under her and get them but even with gloves she still managed to draw blood. how am I supposed to switch the eggs or for that matter separate her from the others ? (with all of my fingers in tact )

please help !! [​IMG]

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Wait until she gets off the nest to eat/drink/use the little hen's room. Or, throw a old towel over her long enough to reach underneathe her.

3. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    she has been broody for two days and I have yet to see her get up once. but then again I am at school most of the day I could try the towel thing I guess.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Mine usually get up when they see me coming with the treat bucket, not always, but usually. My broodies are pretty easy-going. If you really, really need to get under her, I would probably just pick her up and put her on the floor and do what you need to do.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

She`s just doing her henley duty in protecting her nest. Get some thicker gloves and do just like you said you did. Move her at night, give her a couple days on her present eggs, then take your life in your hands and switch the eggs. Don`t let her beat you. She will probably be a great mother. I used to have a hen like that. She would fly up and hit you in the elbow if you scared her chicks. Great mom. Don`t give up.

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    just toss her out of the nest and put the eggs n nd then she wil return in 15 to 20 mins u gotta be patient with them they seem like they dont wanna go back for a little bit sometimes good luck

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Either pick up a pair of heavier leather work gloves or use a towel.

If you use a towel, talk very gently to her with the towel down low, then gently bring it up over her and wrap it around her, covering her head lightly.

8. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    ditto on the heavier gloves and towel. She will probably be a wonderful and protective mom.

9. crazychicken

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    Well I got lucky I got up this morning and caught her on break and I got the real eggs away from her. now all I have to do is convince my parents to get some better eggs for her. (or what I say is better lol [​IMG] )

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by