Any guess on their breeds?

Cwittofur

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Southern NH
I received these chicks from my mom who in turn got them from a school who hatched them. I have 4 of the yellowish ones, a black one and a small white one. I can get better pictures if need be.

This is the lot of them when I got them on Saturday July 16th 2011.
photo1.jpg

This was taken last night July 21st, After feeding them one keeps an eye on me while the others eat. It's quite adorable actually!
photo3.jpg

I grabbed one of the yellowish ones and snapped a picture (I don't think she liked it very much.) I presume this is a female, there's another yellowish one with a much redder thing at the top of their head (I'm new so I really don't know all of the terminologies
sad.png
)
photo4.jpg

Thank you and take care
smile.png

They are still to young to be sure but, the buff ones are probably Orpingtons
The white one might be a balck tailed white Japenese
I don't really know about the black one Astrolrp.
idunno.gif

-

Gosh,
welcome-byc.gif

You are going to have your hands full with these cuties! The thingie on top of the head is called a comb. There are different shapes or types of combs depending on the breed and that, along with color pattern and leg color, can help with breed identification.

The yellowish ones look like buff something, and the one you have a closeup of has (to my eye) a Rose Comb. Buff Orpingtons (BO) have a straight comb, so I am thinking of breeds that are both buff colored and have a rose comb. I am going to guess Buff Wyandotte, but there may be others that fit that description. Look closely at the other buff ones and see if all of the other one have that shape of a comb too. Since you have several different colors, you may well have several different buff colored breeds too. Here is a link to another website that has a lot of pictures of breeds and chicks for you to compare yours to: http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html

The combs and waddles (hang-down bits below the cheeks at the corners of the mouth) tend to turn red very quickly in roosters (that would be the boys
wink.png
) so the one with more red in the comb may be a roo. Roos ten to stand more upright and may be more vigilant so the one that keeps an eye on you may be a roo.

Close-ups of each chick with the comb and legs could really help in breed and gender ID. The genders can be very tricky with some breeds and you may only get it figured out when they crow or lay an egg.

Good Luck with your chicken adventure!

Thank you for the information! I'll definitely try to get some better pictures tonight. The chicks are about 2 weeks old now (at least that's what I was told). They're absolutely amusing to watch and observe. The buff ones have pinkish/yellow feet. I'm not too concerned with Gender identification as of yet I won't be allowed to keep roos but they're all so fluffy! When I go to pick them up they try to jump back into their cage *sigh* I guess I'll have to jump in the cage with them ^_^

Take Care

I got a few more pictures of my chicks. They really don't like being held haha but they didn't mind me when they were eating out of my hand... just as long as I didn't breathe or move.
fl.gif

My black chick with wing out:
IMG_1284-1.jpg

My white chick showing full body:
IMG_1286.jpg

Black chick standing on my hand as he/she kicks feed around:
IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

They're so adorable
big_smile.png
love.gif

Which buff one has the redder comb? Is it the one with the lighter head standing guard? Or the one that is feathering in more slowly with the darker patches? Those and the white one are my guesses that might be roos.

Good luck!

The black one has pinkish feet. Looks like the tips. I was presuming the male buffs were growing their tails more slowly. The black one is my favorite
smile.png
the white one is way too skiddish. The buff with the redder comb seems to have lightened a bit it's a rose pink/red. That buff doesn't have such tail bush going on. Lol.

Crow would be cool lol.
lau.gif

Three Roos oh joy! I'll need to give them back before I get in trouble!
fl.gif

Take care
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom