Any Guesses For My Silkies and Cochins Genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jiff, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jiff

Jiff Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Bennett, NC
    My two silkies and bantam cochin are about 7 weeks old. I'm pretty sure that the cochin is a little roo, but was wondering if someone could confirm it for me. Also, when he was a baby, I thought that he was going to be splash, but now that his feathers are coming in is he blue? I know its early to tell what gender the silkies are, but I would appreciate any guesses. The black silkie has a much larger comb and wattles developing than the buff, and s/he is much larger. Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I do not know anything about Cochins, so I can't really help you with the color, but I do think it's a roo. It looks blue to me, but the darker coloring, I'm just not sure.

The Black Silkie looks like a Roo to me. It has an awful large comb to only be 7 weeks old. The Buff, I can't be positive. I thought Pullet in the first pic, but the 2nd pic made me second guess myself.

7 weeks is really very early to tell the gender on a Silkie chick.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    black silkie roo and blue cochin roo...

4. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Black silkie cockerel
    Buff silkie pullet
    Splash cochin cockerel

That would be my guess:)

Shari

5. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I agree. The buff looks like a girl and the black a boy. The cochin is a roo. It still looks like a splash to me. Buff silkies mature slower than the rest. She should have a nice crest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by