Any guesses? Is this barred rock a "he"?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmwife, Jun 5, 2011.

1. farmwife

farmwife New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    I have 8 chicks that are just over 3 weeks old. I noticed that one barred rock (4 of them are barred rocks) has a larger comb than the rest. It got me researching a little but I can't really tell if he/she is darker than the others, etc.... but I do feel that the head spot is larger than some of the others... Anybody want to give me your opinion? Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vedwards

Vedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yes:)

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Definitely looks like a roo. [​IMG]

4. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Well, I'm brand new on here, so don't take my opinion for much... but I had been told that the dark leg fronts and the fact that they look more black w/ white (rather than white w/ black) were signs of a pullet. But- I also see what you mean about the comb and the spot. [​IMG] Hmmm. I'll be interested to see what others think.

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Ha... looks like the other two posts that came up while I was typing (and chasing my dog for stealing my kid's toys) say I'm wrong! I'm totally a clueless newbie. [​IMG]

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

Wow.. that is a big comb. All the 'signs' (darker barring & dark legs) point to pullet except for that comb. I would say yes, she IS a he.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

the coloring is the same as the other 2 mine had a large comb also and I thought it was a roo, but no her comb just grew faster? [​IMG]

8. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I would trust feather colering above comb reddening. I'm gonna stick it out and say pullet

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Agreed.

10. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    My "girl" looks just like that...got her a comb early, but her SLW brooder mates have caught up to her in size and the comb quit developing at that stage too. Lookes the same as it did when she was 3 weeks and they're 12 weeks now. I'm hoping "girl" because no one is crowing, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by