Any guesses on breed and/or gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joymac, Dec 1, 2012.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    These are four chicks I hatched in an incubator from eggs I collected from an EE hen I'd just bought. I can't have roosters so I'm wondering what you might think these are, or is it too early? They're about 7 weeks old, two are colored like a buff brahma that came with the EE, the other two are light and none of them look like the mom!
    . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. powersurbanfarm

powersurbanfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    I'm no expert by any means, but I am going to go out an a limb and say that the first pic is a cockerel due to the red on the shoulders, and the size and color of the comb. That is quite a bit of red for such a young bird. The rest look to be pullets to me. -Jen

3. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    I agree, but one of the red ones might be a roo as it looks like it might be developing pointed feathers around the neck. just have to wait and see

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I also think only the white with red one is a boy.

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    first one is a rooster

6. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    Thanks for the input! I'm adding a pic of all four from the top as it might give a better idea of pointy neck feathers. The suspected roo's head doesn't show in this one.

[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not a suspected roo, it's a for sure roo. Only roos get that color and that red a comb. In the last pic, the bird on the far right may also be a roo, but the two on the left look to be pullets. Keep an eye on the bird on the right and maybe post pics again in 3-4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by