Any Guesses On Breed? (Chick w/ mostly black plumage) VIDEO

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaDuck1, Oct 19, 2015.

1. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    I acquired this black baby a bit ago, along with a golden sebright, from my son's teacher (classroom hatch). They are a few weeks old. Does anyone know what breed it might be?

[VIDEO]

2. DeepDishChix

DeepDishChix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2015
    Looks like a Barred Rock to me. I have had 2 barred rock chicks and both of them looked almost exactly like that. Yours is just missing the whitish yellow spot on it's head. Hope this helps!

3. corewassen87

corewassen87 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Barred rocks have yellow feet

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    That is not a Barred Rock. Barring requires the white dot on the head. That shows the barring to come as the bird matures, and a Barred Rock must be barred.

I'm thinking it has the posture and body shape of a game bird, although it could just be awkward juvenile stage...which case it might be a Black Sex Link or an Australorp.

But the tail carriage and wing tips that are longer than the body, with a general size comparison to the Sebright (which are tiny) indicate to me it too is a bantam size chicken.

My guess is Game Bird of some sort...possibly Black Sumatra...or simply Old English Game bantam. If Sumatra, the comb should be a pea comb (I can't see what comb type it has in the video other than it is not a rose comb).

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by