ANy guesses on breed now? 17-18 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rsarns, Aug 20, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I have posted pics before and have gotten different replies, BSL's, EE, and some others. I am pretty sure they are mix/mutt, but ithey were supposed to be either BSL's or Langshans.

This one has black legs, no feathered shanks

[​IMG]

This one has yellow feet

[​IMG]

The comb and wattles on the first also are black. These are hatchery birds bought in April from the local feed store. Neither have started laying, just curious as to what they might be, both are very well mannered and quiet. The 2nd is larger in comparison to my other hens of the same age, such as the RIR's, Marans etc.

2. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Another pic

[​IMG]

3. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    silver pencilled rock?

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Langshan's have feathered legs (except the German line) http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Langshan/BRKLangshan.html

Hmmm
    .... They're a tough one... I'd say BSL possibly for the first one, not the second on account of her yellow legs; I don't think EE at all... Yeah, they could be mutts! Or you could call them novelty breeds... [​IMG]

I really like the lacing on both -- very pretty! Makes me wonder if they have some Wyandotte in th line somewhere... Is it gold or silver lacing?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're Black Sexlinks [​IMG]

6. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Illia, thanks! Had some people tell me that since they had no red or gold then they were not BSL's. I think they are very pretty birds, and very well behaved in comparison to my White Leghons.....

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Red vs Silver doesn't matter. A Black Sex link is simply the product of a barred hen and non-barred rooster, usually a solid colored one. Thus, anyone could carry silver or gold genes, and thus, the offspring could be either. Depends on what "recipe" the hatchery/breeder uses [​IMG]

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I'll be doing some hatching of my own down the road here, so I want to be sure about something. I have a barred plymouth rock hen. The roo I have is in the pic below. Will this pair create a black sex link? And if so, how are they sexed at birth? This roo will also (hopefully) be crossed with an EE, SLW, SS, Brown Leghorns, everything else in my signature. Anything you all think I should focus on for nice coloring and good egg laying? I'm not even sure what breed the roo is...

[​IMG]

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:My rooster Reggie, who is colored just like yours...
    [​IMG]

Made this pullet when crossed with a Barred Rock hen...
    [​IMG]

I only hatched a few chicks from Reggie. Crossed with a Rhode Island Red hen he made a pullet that was colored like a Red Sexlink. Crossed with a dark colored Easter Egger he made a solid white cockerel.

"RAREROO" (who knows a TON about chicken colors and sexlinkage) told me that my white pullet was a "White" Black Sexlink. About half the time Reggie would throw his red gene, resulting in regular Black Sexlink chicks (chicks black at hatch, males with a white spot on the top of their heads), and the other half of the time he'd make "White" Black Sexlinks. Females would be colored like my hen above, males "ghost barred" (white with faint barring).

Hope this helps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by