Any guesses on breed or sex? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Garden Gal, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Here are a few of my 5 week old chicks. I ordered eggs from two different sources; some were all Delaware Giants and the rest were a "barn yard mix". I'm assuming all the white ones are the Delaware Giants, but would love your input on the rest of the guys.

I think this is a roo and hen Delaware Giant with a Barred Rock hen...

[​IMG]

I have no idea about these two - they are a dark mahogany red, smaller than the others, and the little roo is a feisty guy with a bad attitude! I have already told him he will be stew if he doesn't lighten up!
    [​IMG]

Delaware Giant roo?
    [​IMG]

A few odd balls - I posted mainly to show my little "Buttkus" - the little hen who started life with a "nasty bottom". She has recovered fine but has no tail!! She looks like a little Quail!
    [​IMG]

Maybe a Rhode Island Red on the left? The bird in the middle is beautiful; the feathers are rimmed in gold. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

Thanks! These are my first chickens ever so I'd appreciate any input. [​IMG]

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    RIR? The middle one IDK?[​IMG]

3. chickshackmom

chickshackmom Hatching

Apr 18, 2009
    The one in the middle looks like my black sex link or black star hen.

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Songster

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Pretty much all of the lighter red ones could be a new hampsire red. or a poor quailty rir. the darker red ones are a RIR. the blaakc one with the gold is a black sex-link.

5. krazycow6

krazycow6 Songster

May 26, 2009
    Zephyrhills, FL
    First two reds are RIR's for sure. Not sure about the rest, sorry.

6. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Many thanks! I had hoped for a bit more input, but for those who dove in, it is appreciated. [​IMG]

HOW do you get more interest in your posts???

7. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    pic #2 rir hen on left and roo on right

last photo I would say the lighter red one could be a nhr, the middle one not sure of, but the right one looks like rir roo because he's so dark

8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    I wouldn't be surprised if that Barred Rock turns out to be a little roo.

9. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm beginning to think the same thing. I have two, and the other one is smaller and lighter. This guy has the two little puffs of down still on either side of the head - it reminds me of Richard Simmons! LOL! I hope he grows into a nice roo... time will tell. He does have yellow legs and the smaller one has greyish black - does that tell you anything different?

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The one next to the RIR looks like my Dark Cornish Game hen that I got as a bonus from McMurray last year. They are sweet, inquisitive and sometimes broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: