Any guesses on breed(s) of my colt?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by itsjustjen, Mar 14, 2011.

1. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Adopted 3 weeks ago from a rescue but am completely stumped by his breed!

Anyone want to take a guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is still gaining weight so please, be kind on that point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Did they know how old he is? I'm thinking based on how (im)mature he looks, a long yearling?

You're in South Carolina, there's mostly Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses there, with some American Saddlebreds and a few other breeds.

Playing the odds, looking at him without knowing his age, expecting him to be immature for his age - Quarter Horse cross. Possibly Thoroughbred-Quarter Horse, depending on his real age/maturity.

I would not worry so much about fattening him up a whole lot more than this. It's better for them to just grow at a healthy, slow rate, with a healthy slim weight. He needs more muscle and to grow. Being turned out and eating a normal amount of feed will allow that to happen naturally.

3. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:I don't mean I want to really fatten him up, his backbone is still jutting out more than is healthly so he has about another 50 lbs and I will be happy.

He is a 9 months old, forgot to mention that earlier.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    With his high set tail, slight build and the shape of his head, my best guess would be saddlebred; especially if they're popular in the area.

He's definitely not quarterhorse, and I really don't think he's thoroughbred either. He's never going to be a stocky horse, no matter how much weight he puts on.

5. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:My thoughts exactly. He will always be a slenderer horse, which is fine by me. I have heard TWH cross....anyone with thoughts on that?

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    Seeing him move and being told he's actually NINE months old, even I have to disagree with myself. LOL.

The way he was standing in the bigger pic with his rump down fooled me - plus I didn't really slow down and take the time I should have to look more carefully.

Saddlebred.

7. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    So you say Saddlebred as well? Interesting. I have a friend that is standing firm on the TWH/Qh cross point but I am on the fence. His moves are nothing like a TWH or a QH.

He is 14 hds....does that mean anything?

8. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Quote:It means he'll probably be a big boy! lol

After watching him move, I say he is definitely saddlebred. No doubts at all!

9. itsjustjen

itsjustjen Songster

Mar 10, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:It means he'll probably be a big boy! lol

After watching him move, I say he is definitely saddlebred. No doubts at all!

DH thinks he will be around 16 - 16.1. I'll be happy with 15.2 We have 2 big boys already, 16 and 16.3 so big isn't scary to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: