Any guesses on breed/sex of this little one?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by masonsmom, Jul 2, 2011.

1. masonsmom

masonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Any experts out there know what kind of baby I've got here? Or how old she might be (I was thinking 3 weeks?) I walked into the feed store today to buy food and this lone chick was there.. The feathered feet were hard to resist! The feed store guy guessed rooster but I'm hoping not! I know it's way early to tell. [​IMG] Either way s/he acts more like a parrot, happy to sit on my son's head! We are already in love!

[​IMG]

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Looks like it could be a 6-7 week old White Cochin or d'uccle...and is for sure a ROO [​IMG]
    kind of looks bantam sized.......

Edit: may I add though that my Cochin ans d'uccle ROO's are gentle and really do not crow much at all

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Roo for sure, but I think he is closer to 2 months because all the feathers are in. Very cute [​IMG]

4. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cochin too.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Such a sweet face for a rooster. He is a beauty

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Def not a cochin! Cochins have YELLOW feet, not gray! That is a young blue D'uccle rooster.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I agree, d'uccle roo....

8. masonsmom

masonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    So I guess I gotta come up with a boy name! Hope he's not a noisy rooster! Guess we will see what happens! Are D'uccles little in size and known to be either quiet/loud or anything? Guess I'll have to go do some research! Thanks for the help! I didn't have much to lose here bringing him home. If he's not tooo loud I'll keep him, if not I'll try to find him a home..

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    OMG! He is SOOOOO handsome! I had to give my little tiny bantam cochin roo away cause we can't keep them, but he was soooo funny and sweet!
    I think Storm or Stormy, he kind of looks like a little storm cloud and being a boy probably have darker (maybe grey?) feathers coming in around neck and tail??

10. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Wow, how do you guys know it's a roo? I'm getting a little paranoid about my Stormy then (yellow feet with peach comb still hardly grown in)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by