1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any guesses on breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MagikarpKai, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MagikarpKai

MagikarpKai Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    Last time I posted the guess was speckled sussex but now they're looking like RIR to me. As chicks they looked different from what I thought RIR chicks looked like... but now I'm not sure! I'm not sure what colour their legs are classified as.. Very pale yellow maybe white? Dark beaks... I just don't know what to think lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Not sure, maybe a Production red...though I doubt that guess :). Where did you get it? It could possibly be a mixed breed.

4. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016

They were sold from a farm who bought them from somewhere as day olds. They claimed their source only had ameraucana, plymouth rock, sussex and rir.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They look like Rhode Island mixes or very badly bred Rhode Island Reds.

6. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    But I also don't think they had any idea of what they were talking about. Was sold barred rocks that turned out to be black ameraucanas. Bought the red ones as ameraucanas ... sigh... I've learned a lot since then

7. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016

Very possible... The sellers made it sound as if they came from somewhere reputable and so far the ameraucanas are looking promising. But I really have no info so who knows :/

8. MagikarpKai

Feb 27, 2016
    Any more thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by