Any guesses on egg colors these greys lay?

Hlazysfarms

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2021
Hello!

I have a handful of grey girls in my coop, they could be a mix of silkie, amaracauna, leghorn, Brahma and some mutts. Just wondering if they’re colorful layers or tan/brown egg layers! Some of them have poofy cheeks and some don’t, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 7D8AFD89-093E-4501-839E-514A3ACE4281.png
    7D8AFD89-093E-4501-839E-514A3ACE4281.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 4
  • EB5BE263-A8DD-43EE-83CA-8353C92ED217.png
    EB5BE263-A8DD-43EE-83CA-8353C92ED217.png
    6 MB · Views: 2
With hybrids, and not knowing the backgrounds, you simply have to wait and see what egg colors you get.

Even knowing a certain hybrids background, you might only have a 50/50 chance of getting a green/olive egg or brown/tan depending upon the parentage. Only first generation crosses of purebreds will get you colorful eggs. Hybrid to hybrid makes for less chances, and a bit trickier math. I'd have to know exactly what the parents were and what mom laid.

With the breed possibilities, you might have some light green possibilities and tan or brown. Blue is unlikely as that is purebreds mostly.

Time will tell. Think of it like Christmas morning. :)

LofMc

Last edited:
Hello!

I have a handful of grey girls in my coop, they could be a mix of silkie, amaracauna, leghorn, Brahma and some mutts. Just wondering if they’re colorful layers or tan/brown egg layers! Some of them have poofy cheeks and some don’t, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!
Brown, blue, and green are my guesses. :)

Back
Top Bottom