Any guesses on gender of my orpington chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jojosthings, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jojosthings

jojosthings Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    gonna have to find homes for all the Roos soon and I think I have more boys than girls [​IMG] these are my 8/9 week old chicks I'm thinking all the laced ones are boys but hoping I'm wrong [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I know it's prob way too early to tell but just wondering if anyone has any hunches on these little guys. 3 week old orps Lemon cuckoo, blue splash and gold laced. We'd obviously love them too be girls [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You're right, your laced birds are cockerels.

As far as the chicks, I'd watch the light colored one and the one with the barring on the wings. No real defined reason, they just seem roo-ish to me.

3. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

4. jojosthings

Aug 15, 2013
    So you think the brown one and the light one maybe Roos? [​IMG] They're the 2 I was hoping would be pullets. Oh well there's always next year! [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The golden one looks pullet-ish to me with her slim legs and lack of comb. The light one just seems like a cockerel based on its stance and thick legs, but doesn't have any obvious signs other than my own gut feeling. Those two, I would watch and wait. However, I would bet money that the one with the barred wings is a cockerel--he's already got quite a comb on him. I can't be certain on any of them at this age, but that one I'd say is 80% a cockerel.

7. jojosthings

Aug 15, 2013
    that's the consensus on the little gold laced one, its not the biggest of the 3 but it definitely has the biggest comb! [​IMG] thanks for sharing your hunches [​IMG]

8. jojosthings

Aug 15, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is an update pic of my suspect chick... It's 6 weeks old today and has had to come in to the house because for some unknown reason it's little chick mates have seriously damaged it by pecking it :(
    The buff one looks like its s pullet and the barred chick is definitely roo! I'm thinking pullet on this little one, but is that just wishful thinking?

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I see a little redness in the comb. But its not overly red for a 6-week old. For now, I'm going to say pullet.

10. johnmclaren

johnmclaren Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    I think you are absolutely right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by