Any guesses on gender? Pic heavy... Australorp, Rhode Islands, ??Brahmas, and Silkie

chickenbelle

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Vernon Parish, La
My family just picked out our first chickens last week. The seller had a variety of birds and many were grouped together so it was difficult to tell ages. I had hardly any idea what to look for, as I have heard so many things about what to look for to sex the chicks. It's a waiting game, but I'm hoping I've made good guesses. I'd love to see if some pros agree with my guesses. We were hoping for a roo or two, but mostly some good egg layers.

I do know that the one silkie we got was 4 days old at the time, so it is 12 days old today.
My daughter named it Walnut. I had hoped for a girlie, but we really love this chick anyway! Please ignore my thumb!

We have two yellow chicks. I think these are Brahmas. Light? Buff? She had so many mixed together, I had to make my best guess! I believe these are a week older than the silkie...so that should make them right at 3 weeks. I originally thought these would both be pullets, but one is much more easily spooked than the other. These are our opera singers! They sing all day long.

The first two pictures are of the one who is the wild one. Both were same size last week when we got them.

This is the calmer of the two and as you can see below, is slightly smaller. Feathers are less developed.

Both close ups...we weren't happy having our picture made today. :-(

Then there are 4 australorps...

three have well developed feathers and tails, one appears to be behind. It still has fuzzy wing and tail feathers. I was hoping for 3 pullets and a roo. All came from same nest. These are my favs so far. Great personalities! They were the same size as the brahmas last week, but have gotten much chunkier! These guys don't want to be still for photos, but they're all cute, so this is what I got.

This is Bertha and Betty Lou...unless they become Bert and Ernie. Have mottled beaks?? Is that normal? Beaks are black, yellow, and white?

Bertha and Betty Lou from the rear.

Bertha again...she's a camera hog.
tongue.png

This lil one has a solid black beak. Not as large as Bertha and Betty Lou.

This is the rear of the one above and its other buddy. The one on the right has only fuzz for tail--like below.

Fun little birdies... they don't much like the paparazzi. Thus, I got all rear end shots.

Then there are the rhode islands. Two came the same size/age as the brahmas and australorps, but the other two were much larger. I'm guessing they are two to three weeks older than the others, as they stand a good two inches taller. Let me know if you have a guess at the age of the two larger ones.

I know this pic is dark, but this is Fire and Ginger. Thought Fire(on left) would be a roo and Ginger a pullet.

Fire and Ginger. Fire's feathers are still fuzzy, but he likes to sit and scratch, so I don't know.

Fire and Ginger again. Notice how Fire's just cuddling with my hand. That was for your benefit. He's normally a little rascal!

Now, the rest are of the big rhode islands.

Left is Diablo and right is Jose. Don't ask...other than they attacked my 15 year old daughter all the way home in the truck. She decided they must be banditos! I originally thought these may be pullets. Both like to sit and preen themselves. But with feathers changing, I'm unsure--look at the tails! And age? Am I right at guessing about 5 weeks?

Diablo

Diablo from the top

Wild Jose...he will take off in flight at a moment's notice. His curiosity about the camera is the only thing that got him still for these shots.

Jose from the rear.

Diablo and Jose

Diablo and Jose

If you can make a good guess at what gender these are, PLEASE tell me HOW you're guessing! I'm a proud new mama of these babies. I hate to have to weed out too many roos.

Most of these guys are too young to tell. The silkie you'll have to wait until he/she is at least 10-12 weeks before you'll be able to tell. The only ones that I could tell that I am pretty sure are males are Diablo and Jose, and Ginger and Fire. All those could be males due to the already rather large combs they have. The Brahma's and Australorps again to young to tell. Sorry not much help.

Back
Top Bottom