Any guesses on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by A roo or two, Aug 21, 2014.

1. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    These Speckled Sussex are approximately 7.5-8 weeks old now. I already have in mind what sexes they are but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicks #4 and #5 are looks like cockerels to me, but I think that the others are probably pullets. However, all of them are showing a large amount of comb and wattle for the age, so you may actually have more cockerels than that.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Boy they all do have a lot of comb and wattle for that age, would vote possible boy on 2,4,5, no vote on 3,6 and possible girl on 1.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    #1 and #6 are your best chances at pullets. The others look like cockerels.

5. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida

IDK if describing them will make a difference or not but just what I have seen in their development in the last 5 weeks. Guess I should have provided this along with the original post. They were bought as straight run.

1, 2, and 3 have the same body shape, same upside down V shaped tail. When I brought them home at 3 weeks they already had their tail feathers, and their backs/chests were fully feathered feathered, only under the wings and heads had chick fluff.

4 and 5 feathered slower than those three but faster than #6. These 2 are built the same with more of a "puff" for a tail that has a slight curve downward of the feathers. When they came home at 3 weeks they had no tails, fluffy backs with a skinny line of feathers starting to emerge, chick fluff heads and their chests were almost fully feathered.

Then #6, well this bird is just pitiful IMO. It still doesn't have a tail, has bare wing bows and chick fluff on its back still. At 3 weeks it looked the most chick-like with fully feathered wings and some sparse feathering on its chest mixed with huge patches of chick fluff.

I guess if they are all roos or mostly roos we start over again next spring. We're gonna be eating a lot of chicken :/

6. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Anyone else have any guesses?

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Post more pictures in a couple weeks :)

8. RichieChickies

RichieChickies Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2014
    Decatur Il.
    Well i think for sure one is a pullet, perhaps three and five as well. I think two is male and six also. Four, no idea. Very pretty all though! [​IMG]

9. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Looking more closely at the pictures, I have a question...

How much space are they kept in during the day and at night? How long are they confined?

10. Anuthatch

Anuthatch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2014
    Saratoga County, NY
    I'm sure curious. The more I look at them the more I don't know what to think. I'd guess 1,3 pullets. And my experience is my 4 who are approaching 19 weeks. [​IMG] I hope you'll post more in a few weeks so we can see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by