1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Any Guesses On My New Flock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fiere, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Fiere

Fiere Hatching

Aug 26, 2013
    Picked up a mixed flock of birds tonight, and the seller knew absolutely nothing about them so I really had no idea what I was getting until I arrived to pick them up. They are in need of serious need of some TLC and quality feed, but are all in all quite nice birds. I didn't get any pictures as I was too concerned with getting them settled in the quarantine pen for the night. Tomorrow I will
    The mature rooster is partridge coloured but has a light gold/bright straw coloured hackle, a dark red walnut or very large rose comb, feathered feet and five toes on his pale pink legs. (Salmon Faverolle cross?)
    There is a hen with a small rose/walnut comb, she's a sooty white (maybe dirty though) with blueish legs and no extra toes. Their son -I assume- is identical to a white langshan only he has a single comb.
    There is a buff coloured hen with a small head tuft with blue legs who has 3 chicks sired by the mature roo: white, yellow legs, 4 toes; white, blue legs, 5 toes; buff, blue legs, 5 toes. All chicks have tuffets like mom.
    All the birds lay brown eggs.
    I'm very curious as to what my new little diamonds in the rough are!

I also have a cream coloured chick about 2 months old with randomly placed brown feathers who is displaying some frizzled traits as well. Combination of regular and frizzly feathers - odd looking to say the least! I got her in a selection of various purebred chicks as a hatchling, she was supposed to be a white Leghorn but I have my doubts. Single comb, pale pink legs on her.

If anyone wants to take guesses, please feel free!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

Pictures would help. [​IMG]

3. Fiere

Fiere Hatching

Aug 26, 2013
    Sorry about the lighting, it definitely doesn't do him justice but my QT pen is in the back of my barn:
    [​IMG]

Here's the hen:
    [​IMG]

And my young pullet (remember this one is unrelated to the above. She is also half the size of the other chicks hatched with her - barred, amers, columbians):
    [​IMG]

4. Fiere

Fiere Hatching

Aug 26, 2013
    Another pullet picture: [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks to me the flock had a prolific silkie a few generations back. The rooster and hen both show silkie influence, but I'm not sure it was as recent as a parent. The hen looks to maybe have some cochin in her as well, she's got that fluffy rounded body. You appear to have what you stated, a mixed flock. Enjoy them!

6. Fiere

Fiere Hatching

Aug 26, 2013
    Another one of the roo: [​IMG]

7. Fiere

Fiere Hatching

Aug 26, 2013
    What would the other influence be? The rooster has gorgeous colours, its almost partridge but yet akin to a SF, I was thinking SF and Brahma cross?
    They are an interesting crew!

Any guesses on the pullet? I don't think the breeder had anything frizzly so I am at a loss as to why she looks so homey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: