1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any guesses on our "surprise" chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by celestialdreamer, Mar 5, 2012.

1. celestialdreamer

celestialdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    We just got our hatchery order from McMurray, yay! We can't figure out what our extra "surprise" chick is despite looking at the pics/videos on their site. It seems to be a bit smaller than the rest and looks similar to the Barred Rock pullets we ordered (except smaller, with no white on the wing tips, a bigger white spot on the head and darker/grayish legs). It doesn't look like any of the breeds we've owned before and I'm stumped (we've had Buff Orpingtons, Black Australorps, Jersey Giants, Easter Eggers). At first we thought they just gave us an extra Barred Rock but on closer examination we think it looks a bit different than the other Barred Rock chicks.

Any ideas? I hope it does okay despite being a little smaller than everyone else! They don't usually send bantams as the free chicks in heavy breed orders, do they?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The links don't work.

It's most likely a male, which would look different than female barred rocks, even as a chick.

3. celestialdreamer

celestialdreamer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I think I fixed the photos? Would a male Barred Rock have grayish legs? The legs are a completely different color than the Barred Rock pullets...

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, the pics came through this time.

I would say that they most likely stuck in a male Black Sexlink. They come out barred and a little hard to tell from a barred rock, but the dark leg coloration is very typical for them. You'll know more as he feathers out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by