Any guesses on Scooter's sex? NEW PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Scooter the 'scovey duckling is a little over a month old now. Here are some new photos of him/her. My little blue eyed booger LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

girl or guy?

Michelle

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote boy. Should be making real duck sounds soon, mumbling raspy noises = boy, QUACK = girl. good luck!

3. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I was under the impression that Muscovies don't quack. Scooter is always talking, a pretty sing song kind of voice..almost like he/she is whistling.

Michelle

4. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Nope, they don't quack. Boys get very big and hiss, girls stay smaller and make funny woobly noises like a rubber ducky. I don't know how to tell them apart early on without other Muscovies around to compare to, though.

Edited to add: I have heard the girls make a quacking noise before when I have to pick them up. It's still much quieter than a Mallard-derived duck's quack.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Muscovy girls will quack if they get scared, hurt or one of the other ducks yanks a feather.

I think Scooter looks like a boy, doesn't seem to have a lot of feathers in yet(as compared to my month old females). but post some more pictures after a while and we'll see!

6. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'll take the camera out right now and see if I can get some better photos. So far Scooter has feathers all over his/her chest, feathers on the shoulders, feathers along the sides of his/her underbelly and the tail feathers.

Michelle

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'm not a scovie expert at all, but just by looking at its size and the size of its feet, I vote girl.

8. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm hoping Scooter is a girl :) I've got 2 grown Pekin gals. 3 Mallard gals that are almost 3 months old and a Mallard Drake that is just over 4 months old.

Michelle

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I would say boy, Scooter has a pretty wide tail and his shoulders are feathering in slowly it looks like.

That white spot is just too freakin cute! I've never seen one with a spot liek that(black but never white). just adorable!

10. PlumTuckered

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I love that white spot too, I hope it stays white :)
    Hmm more votes for boy than girl, guess I'll be trying to get at least 2 more girls so I don't have problems with overbreeding...poor me, gotta get more ducks LOL

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by