Any guesses on Scooter's sex? NEW PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PlumTuckered, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Scooter the 'scovey duckling is a little over a month old now. Here are some new photos of him/her. My little blue eyed booger LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

girl or guy?

Michelle

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. I vote boy. Should be making real duck sounds soon, mumbling raspy noises = boy, QUACK = girl. good luck!

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I was under the impression that Muscovies don't quack. Scooter is always talking, a pretty sing song kind of voice..almost like he/she is whistling.

Michelle

4. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Nope, they don't quack. Boys get very big and hiss, girls stay smaller and make funny woobly noises like a rubber ducky. I don't know how to tell them apart early on without other Muscovies around to compare to, though.

Edited to add: I have heard the girls make a quacking noise before when I have to pick them up. It's still much quieter than a Mallard-derived duck's quack.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Muscovy girls will quack if they get scared, hurt or one of the other ducks yanks a feather.

I think Scooter looks like a boy, doesn't seem to have a lot of feathers in yet(as compared to my month old females). but post some more pictures after a while and we'll see!

6. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'll take the camera out right now and see if I can get some better photos. So far Scooter has feathers all over his/her chest, feathers on the shoulders, feathers along the sides of his/her underbelly and the tail feathers.

Michelle

7. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I'm not a scovie expert at all, but just by looking at its size and the size of its feet, I vote girl.

8. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm hoping Scooter is a girl :) I've got 2 grown Pekin gals. 3 Mallard gals that are almost 3 months old and a Mallard Drake that is just over 4 months old.

Michelle

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I would say boy, Scooter has a pretty wide tail and his shoulders are feathering in slowly it looks like.

That white spot is just too freakin cute! I've never seen one with a spot liek that(black but never white). just adorable!

10. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Songster

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I love that white spot too, I hope it stays white :)
    Hmm more votes for boy than girl, guess I'll be trying to get at least 2 more girls so I don't have problems with overbreeding...poor me, gotta get more ducks LOL

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by