Any guesses on the sex and breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stone_family3, Apr 10, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    If one is male and other is female can they breed together?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    The first looks like a cayuga and the second looks like a pekin. They are too young to tell the sex. You usually cannot tell until they get their feathers/quack. They are cute :D

3. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Not familiar with the dark breed, but the yellow duckling is probably a Pekin. They way I was taught to sex young ducklings is to listen to them when they freak out over something (but please don't freak out the darlings on purpose, you know they'll do it on their own soon enough lol). Girls are supposed to be much louder and boys have a more high-pitched quality to their tones or so I was taught. It's worked as a pretty good indicator for me so far.

Honestly though until they reach about 4 months old there's no real way to be sure as a backyard keeper. It's all just a hunch this way or that way. They need to feather out to really show the breed and grow a drake feather or not, and their voices need to really change around the same age to help sex them.

Edited to add that if they are two different genders, you can bet on them breeding.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks, right now they both make high pitched meep meep sounds. LOL

If they are able to mate will they produce fertile eggs?

5. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they will produce fertile eggs if they are of the right genders. The only time you need to worry about not having fertile eggs is if you have a muscovy mule duck.

Muscovy Mules are crosses between Muscovy ducks and any of the other common domestic breeds. It is similar to breeding a horse and a donkey. The baby is a Mule, and is sterile.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Cool thanks for the info, now I'm really hoping I have a male and female so I can have baby ducks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by