Any guesses on these Rhode Island Reds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenbelle, Sep 22, 2012.

1. chickenbelle

chickenbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Vernon Parish, La
    I'm still a newbie at chickens, but I'm thinking some of you could tell by now what gender chickens I have. I have two RIR that are 6 to 7 weeks and two more that are about 5 weeks.

[​IMG]Here are the 5 week olds together. The guy on the right has a red tint that has started in his comb. He is also below.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]This is the chick from the left--no red tint in the comb yet and better feathers. Pullet?

[​IMG]These are the two older birds. The one on the right is feathering out faster and has red to his comb.

[​IMG][​IMG]This is the bird from the right. All of the neck feathers I'm seeing on him are rounded. He is a lapdog!

[​IMG][​IMG]This is the bird from the left. This is the climber. Hardly any color on his comb yet. I was leaning toward roo on this one, but unsure. What few neck feathers I see are rounded

also.

[​IMG]Here they are from the back--both tails are similar in size. Any ideas?

2. imtrying

imtrying Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    if you're seeing differences in combs, you have one of each. congrats. :)

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i see a pair

4. chickenbelle

Sep 10, 2012
    Vernon Parish, La
    Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid I had two roos here. I was hoping for 3 girls and 1 roo. I guess I'll be in search of more girls.

5. chickenbelle

Sep 10, 2012
    Vernon Parish, La
    Updated with new pics. My younger RIR's are definitely a pair and one of the older birds is definitely all girl. But, the other older bird had me on the fence. I thought roo, but I'm now leaning towards thinking they are both pullets. She does have a redder comb, but both are the same size, same feathering, etc.

They are about 9 weeks now.[​IMG]On the left is the definite larger female, middle is the one I'm questioning, and on the right is the younger, definite roo.

[​IMG]Here is the younger roo--I'm assuming he's heading for a molt, as his feathers look terrible the past few days. The one in question is the Red directly behind him. The other definite female is in the lower corner.

[​IMG]This is the definite female, and the tail feathers of the one in question. Can anyone tell anything about this one?

I'm now leaning towards pullet based on behaviors and the total body shape is like the one in the last pic. Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by