Any guesses on this roo or these pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plfreitag, Dec 11, 2010.

1. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    We ordered Salmon Faverolles from Cackle this spring. We got 15 of them and two (they were supposed to be cockerels) who have the same coloring but lack the facial fluffiness and have larger combs as well as wattles. Here is a photo of one of the girls next to a Salmon Faverolle. Like I said, almost identical except for the lack of facial feathers and the presence of larger combs & much larger wattles.

[​IMG]

Here is one being held by my daughter.

[​IMG]

Here's the roo we got from Longmeadow Rescue Ranch a few weeks ago. He's incredibly gentle - I can pick him up. He's a gentleman with the girls and has never shown even an ounce of aggressiveness. While I'm unsure of his parentage, I'm glad I chose him. It's rare for me to encounter a non-homicidal rooster.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any input on either would be greatly appreciated. I'd just like to know what we have here. All 3 breeds are exceedingly gentle. I can hold them all, though they aren't overly fond of it. The roo must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven when we adopted him. Due to space restrictions, he was being kept in a cage like they use for kittens or puppies at night and then into a 3x5 foot kennel thing in the daytime. Not only is our space bigger, but he has girlfriends!! [​IMG]

Thanks in advance
    Trisha in MO, slightly confused [​IMG]

2. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    I think the 2 pullets are Salmon favorelles too, they look like they also have feathering on their legs and it seems like they also have 5 toes. Chickens from hatcheries for the most part are way off on whjat the real breed is supposed to look like, maybe this 2 their defect is their missing beard.

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    And your Roo looks like a Black Wyandotte

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are "hatchery quality" faveroles. I agree the rooster looks like a black wyandotte.

5. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    They're all pretty [​IMG]

6. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Salmon Favs are feather sexable. Females feather in brown and males feather in black. Yours are definitely females.

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Those hatchery salmon faverolles are ALL female. Males are mostly black.

And I disagree. The Wyandotte roo is mixed color - unless the white I'm seeing is just glare, but I doubt it.

If it is glare on his tail, then he is blue, not black.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The wyandotte roo is probably pure, most show breeders have two lines of black dottes. One is for females and one for males. One of those lines, (I can't remember which one) does carry that weird white in the undercoat of the male birds.

ETA: He does appear to be blue, but I would imagine the same things apply to the blue and black.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    pips&peeps :

The wyandotte roo is probably pure, most show breeders have two lines of black dottes. One is for females and one for males. One of those lines, (I can't remember which one) does carry that weird white in the undercoat of the male birds.

Really? Weird - what causes that? and another Q - Why does he look blue in the chest feathers if he is black - is it some kind of wyandotte thing?​

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I do not know what causes it, but now that I have thought about it, it must come from the female line. You wouldn't show a cockerel/cock bird that looked like him.

I did say he appeared blue when I edited my poste. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by