Any guesses on what breed these are?

HJSmith

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2015
Greenville, NC
So last week I posted some pics of some of my chicks asking for guesses on gender, only to be informed the 2 I was told were Buff Orpington's could not be. So after that upsetting news (that was the breed I told my husband I absolutely had to have) I have been trying to figure out what they could be, and am at a loss.
he.gif

I have 2 RIR, and they are darker in color all over, I have 3 Buckeyes, and the feathering is alot darker too. Can yall help me?

This is Blanche at 3 1/2 weeks;

And Blanche and Biggy at 4 weeks (Biggy is in front, and we are pretty sure is a Roo by thebigger comb, and having wattles already)

Ok I am going to try again
wink.png

Here they are at 8 weeks. The first is Biggy, who we are pretty sure is a Roo, the second pic is both of them, but Blanche decided to turn away when she saw the camera, her comb is not as big, and her wattles are just starting to show, whereas Biggy's are quite large. I have googled a ton of chicken breed pics, to try to match them, but right now we call them our mystery chicks.
tongue.png

Ok I am going to try again
wink.png

Here they are at 8 weeks. The first is Biggy, who we are pretty sure is a Roo, the second pic is both of them, but Blanche decided to turn away when she saw the camera, her comb is not as big, and her wattles are just starting to show, whereas Biggy's are quite large. I have googled a ton of chicken breed pics, to try to match them, but right now we call them our mystery chicks.
tongue.png

Those birds seem to have straight combs so that precludes them from being Buckeyes...

Hi,
Well, I think they are built on the Wheaten allele. That's why their underbellies are light cream. They also have a barring gene ( that's why the stripes in their hackles form a row of dots instead of a solid black stripe). They kinda look like a cross between a regular colored wheaten bird and a Speckled Sussex.
Maybe Delaware and a Speckled Sussex? Delaware: http://tinyurl.com/pk7dqsa
Speckled Sussex: http://tinyurl.com/purx4du

Those 2 breeds are both based on the Wheaten allele( an allele is the basic canvas upon which the other color and hues are "painted"). Now Delawares carry barring gene which can be seen in their black hackles. They also carry the Silver gene which makes them popular for creating sex-linked chicks ( these are chicks where you can tell the sexes at hatching by the color of the chick). The other colors I see in these birds could be from the Speckled Sussex but lightened too much by the action of Silver from the Delaware. That would also explain the pale yellow legs ,( yellow legs are dominant over white legs) which the Delaware have and the Sussex have white legs.
I don't know what breeds you were supposed to get but these look like crossbreds to me. I could be wrong, only time will tell when they lose these juvenile feathers and get their adult plumage. Lots of colors can change between then and now, smile. As is often the case with poultry, sometimes you just have to wait....and enjoy your birds, smile.
Best Regards,
Karen

And Hellbender, be nice, the poster is a new egg and your manic wabbit is gonna scare her!
Hee, hee. Wouldn't know it to look at the wabbit, but Hellbender is really a nice guy. There! I outted you, LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom