Any guesses on what I have now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by write2caroline, Jul 3, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I tried posting on the Genetics what breed tab but only one respondent with a good idea to ID two of the variety pack but I am hoping some of you might recognize my breeds of chicks because hopefully some of you have similar kinds of chicks.

If you click on the thumbnail it will get bigger:

[​IMG] [/img] Group A (I have 3 of these - all yellow with yellow feet but not getting these brown feathers
    [​IMG] [/img] Group B Maybe Speckled or Welsummers? I have 4 two are definately darker than the other two

[​IMG] [/img] Group C Flash made her jump but you can still see her feathers
    [​IMG][/img] Group D

[​IMG] [/img] Group E These were sort of amber colored with darker orange chipmunk lines

[​IMG] [/img] Group F These were also yellow but their feathers are looking white.

Thanks for the help
    Caroline

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    4th pic looks like my RiR's no idea on the rest

3. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I think you are right that group D are RIR. I had some RIR when I was in College but I could not keep them
    Caroline

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    lets see if we can get you more advice. ~BUMP~

5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

You can go to feathersite.com and they have real photographs of all the chicken breeds, plus chicks for each breed. The photos really help. Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Thanks - I did go to featherscite. I am kind of more confused - Are welsummers and wheatons the same? I found a lot of breeds are called different stuff like Wyandottes and wheatons.

I mostly want to know what the yellow chicks are and what they will morph into. The white ones have BIG tails. Some of them are getting brownish red feathers on their chests too.

I am pretty sure I have welsummers and speckleds, not sure if the ones I thought were RIR are actually Cinnimon queens.

They did say if you like a mystery to order the variety pack and I certainly have a mystery - where is Nancy Drew when I need her.

Caroline

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Wheaten is a color. Welsummer is a breed of chicken. The list of chickens on feathersite are the breeds. Then when you click on the breed it will show you pictures of all the colors that breed comes in. Did the hatchery say what breeds might be included in your mystery package? Sometimes the hatcheries have pictures on their website of the breeds and chicks of those breeds. I don't have any of the breeds that came in your mystery package, so I'm not much help. Maybe you will just have to wait until they get their feathers and look on feathersite again. Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by