Any guesses on what they'll look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blondi, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Blondi

Blondi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    Roo is a blue mottled cochin hens are a barred rock and a buff brahma all bantams
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    It's really impossible to tell yet, but I can say one thing....their cute!

3. Blondi

Aug 18, 2014
    Thanks! I had one shrink wrapped but she's doing better now just very muttly looking! Lol
    [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The blue mottled cochin is probably based on Extended Black. There are other possibilities, such as Birchen with melanizers but let’s go with Extended Black. It is probably right. The mottling is a recessive gene so it will not have any effect on this generation. The blue is a black modifier. It turns black to blue but it is a split gene. To be blue he has to have one blue gene and one not-blue gene.

The Barred Rock is also Extended Black and barred. Her chicks from that rooster will be black sex links. The males will be barred and the pullets will be solid. About half of each will be black, the other half blue.

There are different ways to make Buff so you can’t be sure what is there, but the rooster’s Extended Black will overpower whatever she has anyway, so at least in theory half the chicks will be solid black, the other half solid blue.

But that last chick looks red instead of black or blue. Maybe it is just my eyes or my monitor but if it is red, there is a problem. Your rooster cannot be pure for the Extended Black if that chick is red. He’s got some red hiding under there. I’m not sure what that chick will wind up looking like but it is from the Buff. The Barred Rock’s Extended Black will overpower whatever red comes from the rooster so her offspring should still be black sex links and be either black or blue.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking the first chick is from the Rock momma and a pullet, and the last one is from the Rock momma and a cockerel. He'll be a pretty blue barred and she'll be black. Middle bird is probably from the Brahma--you can tell in person by looking at the comb. Brahmas have pea combs which are dominant or partially dominant--in either case, the comb won't be a classic straight comb with the Brahma momma. Buff x black (which your blue rooster is based on) are usually buff on the front and black on the body and tail.

6. Blondi

Aug 18, 2014
    Wow than you all so much! That is by far the best I've heard this explained! These were the only two hens laying at the moment and I'm a hatchaholic! Lol the last pic is actually an EE chick none of these have red that I can see so far. This is my roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    He's so pretty![​IMG]

8. Blondi

Aug 18, 2014
    Thank you he's super sweet too!!