Any guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mountaintopfarm, Feb 17, 2016.

1. mountaintopfarm

mountaintopfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2016
    Our 10 chicks for warmth ended up being 23!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    So cute
    You have 23 chicks?

3. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

4. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    Yes 23. All packing peanuts.

5. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016
    One chick has only 1 eye. The other appears to have skin like tissue w some teeny fuzz growing on it.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    I raised chicks from hatch to 8wks for a breeder for awhile, hence my screen name. The first time she brought any to me, she said there'd be only 20 (Seramas), turned out to be 35! It was overwhelming but I enjoyed every minute, they're amusing and each with their own personalities. One batch I had a total of 50 (Wyndottes, Orpingtons and EEs) , then I decided to have some of my own :)

Enjoy your Chicks, 23 seems a lot but you could always sell off the "excess" but then again who can have too much chickens.

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Not sure how anyone else feels, but I would complain to the hatchery about sending their culls as packaging peanuts, or surprises. Why would I want to have to do their dirty work of culling these chicks out?

8. mountaintopfarm

Feb 2, 2016

I spoke w Ideal this am. They did acknowledge the box was overstuffed and that 23 chicks w 3 ducks was ridiculous. They credited me for the 2 dead ducks (bc the first order 3/6 ducks were DOA)
    They said the 23 chicks are ALL MALE LEGHORNS! What do I do w 23 leghorn roosters???

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I agree.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The hatchery is very up front about sending males for warmth with small orders. You can opt out and pay extra for shipping with a heat pack, etc I believe. It shouldn't be surprise to anyone to get pacing peanuts, but a lot of folks don't actually read the info when they order chicks.

That said, yeah, OP you got too many peanuts. If they confirmed they were Leghorns, I'd advertise them for a day or so, then if not able to sell them I'd euthanize them. I wouldn't see the point in raising them up for butcher, you'd probably lose money in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by