1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ksavop, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ksavop

ksavop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    Hi, I have 6 week old ( roughly) chicks. We got them at ort local tractor supply and were told they were buff orpingtons, but I'm thinking they were mistaken. They were yellow as chicks but most are now turning red. any guesses?? [​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They look like red sex links.

3. lizzychirp

lizzychirp New Egg

Apr 28, 2016
    Yea definitely not buffs...they do look like a sex link..

4. scrambled please

scrambled please Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Sex link BIG egg layen girls. Sometimes I've heard them called golden buffs; sex link is not the most indearing name.

5. ksavop

Apr 26, 2016
    So they are hopefully all pullets ( which is how they were advertised) since they are sex linked, right??

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Yes, those are all red sex link pullets. As noted above, they are sometimes sold under the name of "golden buff" - is there any chance that might have been the mix up? If not, it is not uncommon for chicks to get mixed up at the retail store and end up in the wrong labeled tub or tote.

7. ksavop

Apr 26, 2016
    They were in a tub marked pullets. No breed was listed, so I asked. The young man said "I'm pretty sure they are buff orpingtons." Haha. I didn't really have a specific breed I wanted so I just went with it. Thanks for the feedback!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by