any guesses?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shannondee12, Dec 3, 2013.

1. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have been told many things from a Khaki cross to a Rouen cross to a mallard and then some. Just wanting opinions on him. He was suppose to be purebred Cayuga.
    [​IMG]
    This is him as he feathered out. His name was daisy then

Below is him today. He gained beautiful green head feathers in a matter of days. He is now 15 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now his name is donald.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    1st pic looks like KC x Rouen. The last 2 pics look pure KC to me. Interesting that the feather penciling is lost from the 1st pic to the 3rd.

3. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    The thing that bothers me is that I ordered what was suppose to be "from show quality parents" cayuga eggs when Donald turned out to not be cayuga. I had 2 from 6 hatch and only one survived. That one is now 6 weeks old and he/she looks exactly like Donald did at that age, right down to the penciling. You can see her head and chest in the background of the third pic.

I guess I should do some more reading. I didn't realize that KC drakes had metallic green heads, just thought they were a darker khaki. When I got him at a day old, he was solid black with black legs, feet and bill. go figure!

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    He's lovely! but your frustration is warranted.

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    That's a pure KC. There is no white ring around the neck like rouens have. I have 8 KC right now - 4 boys and 4 girls. She must have gotten the eggs mixed up. Who did you get the eggs from I want some new blood from a SQ breeder.

6. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    It was a hatchery. I ordered 2 Cayuga and 2 KC. When I received them, the packing slip said exactly what I ordered. If he is pure KC then he is the only thing that they got right except for I didn't order any drakes. I didn't get any cayuga. As a matter of fact, my avatar is also suppose to be a cayuga but as you can tell, she is a crested blue swedish.

7. ducksinarow

Mar 12, 2011
    In the second behind the chicken and the third picture to the left that looks like a female KC. Do you have a better photo of her? She does not have an eye strip like rouens. From the photos she also looks my KC girls. No white patches right?

8. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV

Actually, that's the one that I am fairly certain of. She/he is a 5 week old Cayuga. Supposedly from show stock. I'm not sure on the show stock but I hatched her from an almost black egg so I'm pretty sure she is Cayuga.

9. shannondee12

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    And also, I am thinking that it's a he. I just went out to let them out for the day and noticed that he lost his quack. Way more wraspy than usual.

10. ducksinarow

Mar 12, 2011
    If it was a black egg then yes it is a Cayuga. In the picture he/she looks brown. Sorry my mistake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by