Any Hamburg owners/experts, please give me some hope!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by UrbanFarmerGirl, May 12, 2011.

1. UrbanFarmerGirl

UrbanFarmerGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    I hatched a batch of mail order eggs this April- out of the 4 Silver Spangled Hamburg eggs I ordered, only one lonely little chick hatched. The SSHs were the ones I wanted most, and never ever have I wished harder that a chick was female. This little one is almost 3 weeks old. S/he feathered early, and has wing and tail development beyond her hatch-mates (EEs, so who knows about them). S/he is not aggressive or bold or friendly- very much in the middle of the pecking order. Curious, but not assertive. I simply cannot ignore the comb growth, already with a hint of pink, and am feeling worried this is a little roo. I don't have another SSH to compare with, and have never even seen one in real life before. It's tough to find images even on google, of young birds. Please somebody give me your honest opinion- I am hoping it is a girl, but I want to know what you think. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I think you have a little Mr. your hands! [​IMG]

~Aspen

3. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    If it is a cockeral, I'm looking for one, but we'd have to figure out how to get it from Davis to Olympia (not impossible, I have relatives in the Bay Area who may be convinced of the necessity of bring me a chicken, stranger things have happened); maybe we could figure out a way to get you eggs or chicks next year? I'm getting three young hens Sunday, but there's no rooster to be had.

4. UrbanFarmerGirl

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Without a doubt a boy? My entire family lives in Washington. I'll be up in August, but possibly sooner as well. I would be down for a trade of eggs/chicks if it's definitely a rooster- I am not allowed to have one here.

5. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:COOL! I'd be thrilled if this could happen; otherwise I'm looking at $100 for a sure-thing rooster from the guy in Junction City Oregon, and I just dropped $2K on a Shorthorn bull, so I'm feeling a little over-extended for that. I HOPE it's a pullet for your sake, but if it's not, let's work on a trade.

6. UrbanFarmerGirl

May 18, 2010
    Western Washington
    Thanks I'll PM you. If anyone feels this could be a pullet feel free to chime in.... [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Its a roo, if it pinks up to this age. A pullet would not pink up at all until about four months old or ready to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by