Any Hamburg owners out there?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fancyfeathers38, Feb 10, 2012.

1. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I was just wondering how many people keep Hamburgs on BYC because I never see any photos or hear about them.
    Anyone keep them or breed them?
    I really like them and am a breeder so just curious.[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It would be nice if you'd put your location on your profile.

I think Hamburgs look like eye candy and I'm always looking for eggs to buy and hatch, but for the most part I try to buy eggs, but I always try to have them sent from closer to Phoenix rather than all the way across the country... with a few exceptions.

3. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I agree.
    They are a beautiful bird and I love their calls that they make, they are a bit more vocal then other breeds.
    p.s. I put my location in my profile.

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I don't have any. But after getting some Campines on a lark, reading their history, which then led me to reading up on Hamburgs, all I can say is that I sure do want some Hamburgs. Good egg-laying Hamburgs, not show Hamburgs. I don't think that most folks know what spectacular egg layers they used to be. Maybe they still are? But rarely do you hear about them. I love the beauty of the Spangleds, but I think the Pencilled might be a stronger layer--at least that's what the history books claim. You'd know better than I, though.

5. chuckeychickens

chuckeychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Chuckey, TN
    My Coop
    We have some Gold Spangled Hamburg pullets and cockerels. Just got into them late last year. I love their coloring!

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a mixed one.. I might be getting some this year. They are really common in our area. I know at least 3 breeders within 30 minutes who have them :)

7. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    My silver spangleds are great layers and I really like their egg color.
    Good looking and good layers![​IMG]
    I wonder why they are so rare in my area?

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would definitely get the for their beauty and their egg laying abilities. They are not my favourite in personality, but for independent flock owners, they would be wonderful. My mix (despite having half polish in her) lays an egg 6 out of 7 days a week. Sometimes even 7/7. I think she got 99% of her personality from the SSH.

Has anyone ever had a hamburg go broody? My girl did.. and it's definitely not the polish making her do so :gig

Eta: Fancyfeathers, you have the same mix, am I correct? I thought you posted two boys that were SSH x WCB polish in the most handsome rooster contest?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  9. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I breed Citron and Gold Spangled Hamburg bantams, they are beautiful, active birds.

10. fancyfeathers38

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    Yep, Flash my avatar is a SSH X WCB Polish. His brother is the same mix but not as spangled.

I've never had a Hamburg go broody although some of my girls take forever to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by