Any Harm Feeding 24% Protein Crumbles to 5-week Old Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HunterWilson, Jul 13, 2010.

1. HunterWilson

HunterWilson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    As I was running out of the 20% grower/raiser feed I went to TSC to buy more and discovered it was out of stock. My only choices were 24% for turkey chicks or 15% for layer hens. I went ahead and bought the 24%.

Should there be any harm in feeding the 24% Durmor to my 5-week old chicks (RIR, BR, and Aracuna breeds)?

Thanks!

2. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    Don't worry. They'll be good. [​IMG] The 24% is good for them. It's just more expensive.

The 15% layer feed would have been the wrong choice.

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    By raising your Protein intake you only Grow the bird faster so to speak Since broiler feed isnt avalible to me I buy a 28% protein feed. also most people say use medicated starter well most of those are also 28% protein So the anwser is theres no harm in feeding your birds 16%-28% protein however expect a more fast growth development by adding extra protein. If they forage and have access to free range, there feed intake will reluctantly drop and they will get there essential protein via plants and insects. Hope this helps some.

EDITED to say Layer feed should only be fed to birds 16-20 weeks old who are beggining there laying cycles If you have a limited choice to pick from pick Gamebird starter (unmedicated) or contact your local co op and give them the ingrediance from one of your old packages and I am sure they can whip you up a batch.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by