Any have any good pop door ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by XilverAngel, Sep 2, 2009.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I need some help on the pop door, my dad especially likes sliding ones, but any pictures or ideas will do! Thanks!

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    We hinged ours from the top, and it has a 2"x2" across the inside door bottom to help swing it shut. I put an eye hook on it and ran a wire to it so we can raise and lower it from outside the run. It's got a long metal rod to latch it shut from the outside as well, it just slides into a "u" bracket like an overly long bolt.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I used a sliding door in my banty coop/tractor. The door is 1/4 inch plexiglass and it slides inside a wooden area. The plexiglass was used (someone else used an acrylic cutting board on here) so it wood not swell and stick like a wooden door. DH used rough cut wood for the area that it slides in & I did still have some sticking the other week when it was really rainy & humid. Most of the time it slides really well. I don't think he left quite enough leeway for the plexiglass for the humid times, but it will be really tight in the winter. The plexiglass has a piece piece of board screwed to the top with a piece of metal stripping that I grab to pull it up from the outside. We have a bolt lock on the top to keep it up. I really like it so much better than my swing up door on my old coop.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We used some kind of really thick plexiglass as well. It's a slider in a metal track, mounted inside the coop. We're still building, so we don't have the pulley system set up yet (have to put our "paneling" up first). But it'll run through the wall so I can open/close the pop door from outside, w/out entering the run or the coop. I'm going to try to post a pic to give you an idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Assuming my pics took, the plexiglass is in, it's just difficult to see. I've joked that I'll have to paint flowers or something on it so the chickens don't run into it...lol

5. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    thanks for all the ideas and pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by