Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by speyerk, Mar 4, 2012.

1. speyerk

speyerk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    Kapolei Hawaii
    Trying to get a handle on how many Hawaii folks on BYC. I live in Leeward O'ahu and would like to know other people here that do the BYC thing. Would be nice to have a Hawaii community to bounce ideas and resources around with.

Aloha,

Kevin

1 person likes this.
  2. Lynn0284

Lynn0284 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Honolulu
    Hi, I'm on Oahu, Moanalua area. I am a newbie though... Don't have my chicks yet. Should be coming next week. I can't wait. :D

3. speyerk

Feb 19, 2012
    Kapolei Hawaii
    Awesome, you'll love it. How many and what kind did you get? I have 3 rhode island reds and they all started laying eggs 2 weeks ago. do you have your brooding pen set up? What are you going to do for a coop? I went off the deep end with my coop, it weighs a ton. If you look at all the coop designs it is pretty easy to come up with a great functioning coop.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you...

1 person likes this.
  4. Lynn0284

Lynn0284 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    Honolulu
    I ordered 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Silkies and a Ameraucana. I'm ordering the Silkies and a Buff Orpington from Asagi hatchery (to be p/u around 6/19) and the rest from Waimanalo (early July).

I bought extra because Asagi sells Silkies as straight runs only and the extra Buff Orp will help keep the Silkies warm. I plan on just keeping one each of each breeds and giving the extra to my parents.

Just set up my brooding pen today in the bathroom. It is a good size cardboard box with a 40 watt desk lamp as the heat source. Ran the lamp for a couple of hour to check the temperature and everything is good.

I'm building my coop right now (actually my DH is, I'm the painter). It is actually bigger than I thought it would look. :) my coop has a floor size of 3x4 with an attached run. I have space limitations so it is not as big as I wanted it to be. I'll post pictures when I'm done. I looked through a lot of coop pictures on BYC to get ideas from, I liked the Wichita cabin coop a lot. By husband got irritated when I kept changing my coop design because I kept finding ideas that I liked. Lol...

Can't wait for my chicks! So excited!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. Hezekiah

Hezekiah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maui
    next time you order try HaleMalufarms.com

6. Hezekiah

Hezekiah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maui
    Were on Maui and and we ship to all islands?

7. ParadiseQuail

ParadiseQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Greetings,

Good to see some Hawaii residents out here. Located in Downtown Honolulu hea.

I can't really have those chickens for now. My apartment is R5, residential so I can only have 2 chickens. I don't have any right now though. However, I do have 3 Japanese Coturnix Quails. They are much more quieter than chickens but matches the poop output. [​IMG]

Lester

8. speyerk

Feb 19, 2012
    Kapolei Hawaii
    Lester,

Where did you find legal information regarding zoning and allowable amounts of chickens, I live in Makakilo and couldnt find anything regarding "chicken laws".

Mahalo,

Kevin

9. ParadiseQuail

ParadiseQuail Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Hi,

Here is the link http://www1.honolulu.gov/refs/bill/text/2002/b071.htm

Quote: My quails are safe [​IMG]

10. speyerk

Feb 19, 2012
    Kapolei Hawaii
    Man, thats bad news for me. Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by