ANy Help for Hens Eating eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Motel Chix, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    I was getting about 2 dz eggs a day and they droped off to 1-2 then 0.
    I first thought it was just the cold and shorter days but I have been watching them and they laid 6 eggs by 9 am on Sat and I came back a hour later and they were all gone just a small piece of shell. I am ordering wooden eggs thinking they might get tired of pecking at wood eggs and give up.

Any sugjestions? Thanks

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I have a chicken book that says to put a blown egg filled with strong mustard in the nest box and when the chicken pecks it open,it will have an unpleasant taste,and after about two days the hen will get tired of the taste.
    When one of my chickens started eating her eggs,I tried it and it worked the first time.She hasn't tried to eat another egg:cd

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    That is soooo funny ! Good idea ! [​IMG]

4. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    Great Idea, I will try tomorrow, Thanks

5. Ottoman

Ottoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    Florida
    Try putting ground oyster shells in there run, I believe it is because they need more grit in there diet. And they are trying to get it from they egg shell.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I put egg shells in oven just with the pilot light and dry out the shells. Then I crush them and sprinkle out for girls to eat. They have really strong shells and don't bother their eggs. Just a thought.

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    A hatchet (or dispatch method of your choice). [​IMG] Hens/layers make a good pot of chicken & dumplings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by