1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any help guessing if BLRW is a Rosemary or a Roger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kharmon320, Sep 6, 2015.

1. kharmon320

kharmon320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    This is my first official post (after the introduction), but I am concerned that Rosemary is actually a Roger. I've have combed through the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte thread looking at examples of chicks, but I'll admit I'm still confused. S(he) is the black throw of the BLRW from a local breeder. I think either she was really late in feathering or had the feathers on the neck & back picked before I purchased her. There was no tail to speak of (except pin feathers) at 6 weeks. All of the feathers are coming in great now. The rose comb is so confusing. Sometimes I look and think it's not very red, but other times it looks very pink/peachy. There is not really any wattle to speak of at this time, but I can see where the wattles will be in the future. The photos were all taken with my phone, so not the best quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Obviously the comb is peachy colored, but I've seen other photos of BLRW chicks that look similar at that age that are pullets. [​IMG]
    She's much more upright in manner than the other two, but they are different breeds. I will be very sad if it's a cockeral as I live in the city and would not be able to keep it. This is, of course, my favorite chick. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    How old is she/he now?

3. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    8 weeks old.

4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Wyandottes can be somewhat difficult to sex at this age due to their rose comb. Late feathering (especially in the tail) and standing more erect often means boy. However, if s/he does not have wattles yet and her comb is still fairly pinkish/yellow, that usually indicates female. Male combs at this time are typically turning more red and you will notice that the top part of their comb tends to widen a bit. Perhaps someone with a little more experience that my with wyandottes can chime in, otherwise you can also try posting some better pics (especially of the comb/wattles and a good side view) or waiting another week or two and trying again.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm not seeing anything screaming cockerel at this point. The bird does have some sturdy thick legs, often a cockerel trait, but some Wyandotte ladies just have sturdy foundations [​IMG]. I'd say continue to post every few weeks (we like to follow along) and we'll keep an eye on it with you.

that said, if it starts crowing at this age, it's a male.....

1 person likes this.
  6. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    Rosemary appears to be a pullet. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the input! I will try to take a better photo of he/she soon. Ironically, since I posted that she's my favorite, the little Olive Egger has been all over me today. I've been working on keeping them out of the nestbox area in the coop and need to design a sturdy perch in the run, so I haven't had time to snap more pics today.

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

80% CHANCE of being a Rosemary.

9. kharmon320

Sep 6, 2015
    South Carolina
    Okay, here are some better shots with a much better camera. Now I'm really undecided about the wheaten Americauna. Looking at her comb, it looks like it's more than one row of peas developing. It's really pale, but "aaacckk"! Rosemary is the first shots, then Ginger.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now Ginger: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure I'm just driving myself crazy. Thanks for looking and taking the time to weigh in with an opinion.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both look like pullets to me.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by