Any help much appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ashca, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ashca

ashca Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Hi there!!
    I am a new member looking for any help/advice from you guys :)
    I have 6 runner ducks (5 females 1 male)
    A couple of weeks ago I let the ducks sit on their eggs.
    Upon candling we now have 8 eggs growing nicely. However the 8 eggs are spread across 3 different nests and are all at different stages. The 3 ducks sitting are all in the nesting box in the duck house side by side next to each other!! All 6 ducks are locked in this same duck house overnight. I just wondered what would be the best thing to do when the ducklings start to hatch? Do I chance leaving them to their own devices? Do I take each mum and their ducklings in and separate them from the rest? As the eggs are at different stages, will the other ducks who are sitting be affected by the first lot of ducklings hatching? As you can probably tell this is the first time we have let the ducks hatch their own and any help or advice anyone has on this subject is appreciated so much. Thank you.xx

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    You can try to leave the remaining broodies together w new mom and kids, but have a way ready to separate each group if needed just in case.

3. ashca

ashca Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Thanks for that!! I suppose it is too risky to try all six ducks together including the drake??!!

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mom "should" protect the babies, but sometimes drakes can get nasty to littles.
    If you can, I'd try to at least separate the night house since if somebody gets moody, it is hard to get away in an enclosed space. Even just putting some temp fencing in to keep the moms separate from the others that might not be so cool with the new kids arriving.

1 person likes this.
  5. ashca

ashca Just Hatched

Jun 17, 2016
    Great, yes I was rather worried about the night time situation but better to be safe than sorry!! Thank you for your help, will let you know how things go!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by