any help or advice would be great

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazeechiknlady, Oct 1, 2013.

1. crazeechiknlady

crazeechiknlady Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2013
    Northern California
    I noticed yesterday my 2 year old hen has lots of poop stuck on her back butt feather but she is also missing alot of feathers too. I hosed her off and noticed lots of feather are nissing only from her butt area. Shes not roosting at night and is walking funny.. Kinda waddling. Definitly not running around like usual. Ive started her on some molasses and water to help if shes blocked up and read to give Garlic in the water after the laxative to help with internal fungas or yeast. I cant get her into a vet till thursday.. Apparently not many vets care about chickens. Any suggestions??

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Droppings staining her feathers likely indicate diarrhea. I'd give her some probiotics/yogurt and apple cider vinegar to help her digestive system.

Feathers missing could indicate a molt, but if you're mainly noticing them around her vent, I think that something else may be wrong. Is her abdomen enlarged, swollen, or squishy? Hens with Egg Yolk Peronitis or Ascites often have feathers missing around their vents. The fact that your hen is waddling and not walking right, as well as the fact that she is an older hen at age two, make me think that she could very well have EYP or another egg laying problem. Internal egg laying is another possiblity. A hard abdomen could mean that she is egg bound, too.

Of course, feathers missing around her vent could just be from other chickens pecking her. Is she low in the pecking order, or have you noticed any other birds pecking her?

For now, I'd keep her isolated from the other birds. After you've answered my questions, maybe you'll have a better idea of the cause. Just keep us updated. I'll try my best to help!

Hope I've helped!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Trim away any feathers or poop collecting back there. Apply Nustock a sulfur based antifungal cream from the feedstore or Mycostatin cream. Give her probiotics or yogurt with cultures, and put apple cider vinegar in her water. It sounds as though she may have vent gleet. Maggots will get into her vent easily if it is not kept clean and trimmed. Sour crop sometimes will go along vent gleet, and the symptoms are a balloon-like squishy crop that is still noticeable in mornings when it should be empty.

4. crazeechiknlady

Oct 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Her stomach is squishy i was feeling for eggs.. I gave her a warm bath to release any poop build up and when i took her out she was weak and almost couldnt stand. I set her down in shade on the grass and shes now standing again but VERY tipsy meaning if i touch her she looses her strength in her legs and trips almost. She is eting but wont touch the yogurt. And is not drinking. She is the head chicken an alwas a regular layer with no egg issues ever.

5. crazeechiknlady

Oct 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Her crop does look extra puffy.. I guess i will check in the morning but can i tell if its sour crop mid day?

6. crazeechiknlady

Oct 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Finally found a vet .. Turns out it was cancer. We had her euthinized :0(

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by