Any help with laws in SHELBY OHIO

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by chickenchick2011, May 7, 2011.

1. chickenchick2011

chickenchick2011 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    shelby ohio 44875
    Hi everyone not to sure what laws are in my area. Anyone got any ideas? Or place where I can look online for the laws. Thanks everyone. Happy Mothers Day

2. northerngirl

northerngirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Medina
    This is probably only good advice if you're prepared not to have chickens if they're "illegal," but I just called our town's government office and they weren't sure either so they reseached it for me. Part of their research was to call our police department and check with them, too, so maybe start with your police non-emergency number? They told the researcher that while there was no law against chickens (even roosters!), people with chickens have been cited for X, Y, and Z, so try not to do that. It was actually pretty helpful.

Ohio State law says that cities MAY outlaw chickens in platted subdivisions but many don't take the state up on that!

The library reference desk would probably research it for you, too. Finally, there are codified ordinances online that I'm sure someone will point you to, once you've found your city, just do a CNTRL+F and search for chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by