1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any help would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrianT, Dec 31, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I tried to post a pic but it was the wrong file type sent in phone text. My friends's RIR is squatting and is taking very small steps. She is eating but not much. The pic that was sent shows her standing but low like she can't extend her legs all the way. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Is she egg bound/impacted? Or has she been injured like falling off something tall, landed wrong?

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I would assume she's getting ready to lay if she is squatting. Perhaps she is having a hard time and if so a warm soak on the sink usually helps. Then dry completely before putting her back in the coop.

4. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Since friend has had her, she's never laid an egg. He says she's old and was probably done laying when he got her. She's not squatting, she just can't extend her legs. Here's the pic he sent me.

[​IMG]

5. BrianT

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    bump for suggestions

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think this requires more information. I would bring her in and give her a good exam, see if i can find anything like an injury. If not, i would still put that girl in a warm bath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by