any herbologists out there?I'm looking at the science of mosquitobites

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by popcornpuppy, May 21, 2010.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I went fishing with the family last night and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Any fisherman can tell you that you don't wear perfume, bug spray or strong fragrances when you go fishing. I took precautions and wore long sleeves and long pants and still got bit through my clothes.
    There are thousands of breeds of mosquitos. It maybe some thing like 6000, I don't remember the number but I read it a long time ago. So, different mosquitos are repelled by different methods.
    My son and I are the only 2 in our family who the mosquitos target with a vengance. My husband and daughters don't suffer the same torment that my son and I do.
    I have heard and strongly believe that some people have a body chemisrty that attracts mosquitos more than other people do. Being the target of mosquitos, I sometimes get bites that I have a hyper-sensitive reaction to. What I mean is that I get welts that are up to 6 inches in diameter, firm and inflamed (it's a burning itch.) It is a kind of allergic reaction to a certain protien that a particular mosquito injects into the skin when it bites and it is a major discomfort!

So, my question is:
    does anyone know of any herbs or suppliments that I can take to alter my body chemistry so that I will be less of a target for mosquitos? Maybe some kind of volitle oil such as garlic?

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't know of any but I subscribed to your thread in hopes that someone would! I too am a mosquito and tick magnet.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I am a ranch hand, so I deal with lots of bugs, usually ticks & no-see-ums. I am allergic to deet so I use Avon Skin- So- Soft bath oil. I mix 1 tbsp. in a spray bottle & top it off with water. I'll mist myself every couple of hours & it keeps the bugs at bay.

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Only the females feed on humans.

Some (the cursed like me) are allergic to the anti-coagulant that the bug injects to keep the blood flowing smoothly.

Citronella obviously, but I was also told that they don't care for basil... so you can plant it for that AND for cooking!

Yarrow Tea, Lemon Balm (again with the citrus) are non-chemical ideas particularly for kids.

ME, I use DEET on my LOOSE long sleeved/legged clothing along with killing any I can catch.
    Catch-22 is that my skin is sensitive enough to feel when they prick me, so I can smack them, but by then it's already too late.
    At least they don't get to bite me twice.

Hope maybe one or more of those help.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I know what you mean about the welts. It would start off with a mosquito bite and would soon be huge welts covering my thigh (or wherever). Or a couple of bites would "merge" and become a huge puffy rash. I have heard that taking garlic does help ward off mosquitoes, but my approach was somewhat different. I started taking a regular non-drowsy antihistamine to minimize the reaction when they did bite. I took it daily, in the morning like a maintenance medication. This helped tremendously. I took Clariton for a couple of years, but eventually became immune to it and switched to another type (can't think of what it was now, but I just got the generic version). After a few years of doing this, I stopped taking antihistamines altogether and realized the welts and adverse reactions no longer occur! I can't explain the science behind it, but that's what worked for me.

6. PineappleMama

Makes sense... the Claritin not working... since that's basically for inhaled allergies isn't it?

Where as Beny is given to a chemical reaction in addition to inhaled... and your skin/blood acting out against the anti-coagulant would be chemical.

Yeah, I can see that... will make sure to pack some Beny on our next outing!

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I have a theory that the more sugar and carbs you eat the more they like you. Not sure if it is true though.

I have tried taking brewers yeast daily and it really does help. The mosquitos don't bite nearly as much. It must let of a smell they hate.

8. PineappleMama

Hubby doesn't have an issue with them if ANYONE else is around. Lucky bugger.

But, then he does like spicey... IE when dishing up Mongolian BBQ he's in for the curry, garlic, hot oil AND jalapenos.

And every time he asks "Is it hot in here" [​IMG] Goof.

I cannot handle spicey... I'm a TOTAL wimp...
    I just don't have the lipids needed. I blame the Irish blood from Dad's side as my mom and unc scarf the spicey.

But, it's a thought for those who can eat it?

9. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    My mom's doctor once told her they are attracted to whatever bananas do to the bloodstream. We stopped eating bananas in the summer and there's been a big difference!

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I know this sounds too much like Bram Stoker stuff, but garlic works well. Eat a lot of fresh garlic and the musky-does ( [​IMG] )won't like the taste of your blood....seriously! If you can't stomach eating that much garlic, they make garlic tablets....both the kind that give you bad breath and the kind that don't~these are a little more expensive.

You need to build this up in your blood and keep it that way.

The Skin So Soft is the best repellent on the market and the military uses it instead of the usual bug repellants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by