Any high energy foods for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fraoch21, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I have one chick about 3 weeks old which, for some reason, is fading away. He was once the most curious and energetic chick but is now very thin and weak. I bought these chicks off someone who I will now never buy from again. Of the 10 chicks I bought, I only have 3 left after 2 weeks. Is there any high energy or energy boosting foods I can give the chick? I have been giving them boiled egg but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Or any foods that will help the chick put weight back on again?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Thank you but the chick died last night, When I checked on it before going to bed it was very weak and very cold although it wasn't shivering and it was near the heat lamp. I wrapped it up in a fluffy sock and put it under the heat lamp but it was dead when I got up this morning. Now another chick has suddenly taken a turn for the worse and is very weak. I don't know whats wrong, is this some sort of disease spreading through the chicks? If so, I disinfected the brooder and changed everything in it after the first couple died, so it must be spreading through contact?

4. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd start giving them Corid. Because it may be cocci.
    So sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  5. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    thank you, I don't have any myself so it might take a while to acquire some for them! I have been looking at symptoms and diseases on the net and the symptoms seem to match that of pullorum disease. I really hope its not so are there other diseases matching those symptoms or anyone who has had experience of this?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The only way to get a diagnosis is to have post- mortem exams done, preferably by your area veterinary path lab. If your brooder and feed were correct, then discovering the problem is your best option; before you get more chicks, in case it's going to linger at your facility. So sorry, Mary

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I agree with treating for coccidiosis asap, you just might save the rest. It's just about the most common thing for chicks this age to come down with. I keep Corid (amprolium) on hand when raising chicks and treat immediately the minute I see a slow chick.

8. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Ok thank you everyone. I will get hold of some corid and treat themand if any more die I will have them tested, hoping its something fairly simple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by