Any Home Bakers Here?

topochico225

Your mom
Dec 27, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Well, poo. Tracking says my proofing box is “on its way” after being loaded on the truck at the nearby distribution center this morning, but it hasn’t changed to “out for delivery.” They have until 9 p.m., but I rather suspect it isn’t going to happen today.

I doubt I’ll see it until Monday. As a consolation prize, I did get a visit from a small herd of mulies at sunset: adult female, juvenile, and three subadults. It was fun watching them (since they weren’t eating my garden, but that’s because there’s nothing in it).
Well shucks, guess I have to stay the weekend :)

bruceha2000

Addict
9 Years
Apr 19, 2012
NW Vermont
so I had to thicken the gravy with flour. Which means no gravy for me.
Are you THAT intolerant? There is only a tablespoon or 2 of flour in the gravy.

Mix and let sit covered for 12 to 20 hours. Bake in a preheated cast iron dutch oven
No kneading, no "stretch and pull", just let it sit then bake it???
That sounds too easy but I could screw it up and get a flat loaf.

Family Heirloom passed to me. It’s amazing, the last person to play this was my great grandfather.
Very very nice! Does such a device need maintenance/tuning and is it even possible to find someone to do it?

MTKitty

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
MT
Well shucks, guess I have to stay the weekend :)
Absolutely!

I received a text that it was delivered at 6:30 p.m. That’s great! Except it wasn’t delivered to my house.

I contacted the delivery company immediately and finally reached a live human after being cut off by the automated phone system three times. The live human could only send a message to the local distribution center and have them call me.

They did. At 8:45 p.m. To tell me the driver had already gone home, but would be questioned Saturday morning. Although, they wouldn’t attempt package retrieval until Monday. In the meantime, I’m supposed to report to the sender that the package didn’t arrive. I worked hard to stop myself from getting snappy about the stupidity of that idea, since they weren’t responsible for losing the package.

This is the second time I’ve ordered stuff that was delivered somewhere else. It’s also why I hate ordering from places that don’t deliver to PO boxes. Say what you will about the postal service, but I’ve not had them lose my mail like this.

R2elk

Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Feb 24, 2013
Natrona County, Wyoming
My Coop
My Coop
This is the second time I’ve ordered stuff that was delivered somewhere else. It’s also why I hate ordering from places that don’t deliver to PO boxes. Say what you will about the postal service, but I’ve not had them lose my mail like this.
I have had the USPS lose both incoming and outgoing mail on a far too regular basis.

MTKitty

Songster
Aug 14, 2021
MT
I have had the USPS lose both incoming and outgoing mail on a far too regular basis.
Our experiences are either from differences in post office staff or incredible luck.

What burns me up is the delivery companies - two different ones - are all sympathy and apology, but don’t move very fast to correct their mistake. First one took nearly a week to get two misdirected packages to me. If I knew where the package had been left, I would go introduce myself and retrieve it myself.

Part of my frustration is disappointment about getting my starter going and baking a fresh yeast loaf. 😖

bruceha2000

Addict
9 Years
Apr 19, 2012
NW Vermont
What burns me up is the delivery companies - two different ones - are all sympathy and apology, but don’t move very fast to correct their mistake. First one took nearly a week to get two misdirected packages to me. If I knew where the package had been left, I would go introduce myself and retrieve it myself.
We frequently have "A UPS/FED EX package I was supposed to get, and tracking said it was delivered only I didn't get it" posts on our Front Porch Forum (*). I don't know if people ever get them since I don't see any posts back saying "it was delivered to my house" or "thanks to the person who emailed me that they have my package".

* Vermont thing? Town by town "social media" where your name and street are on anything you post.

Top Bottom