Any Home Bakers Here?

Floydie

Crowing
Jan 30, 2020
Chocolate cake (packet mix), topped with home made chocolate.

IMG_20211202_152056.jpg
IMG_20211202_152110.jpg

Ladies-Eight

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2018
Hollister, Florida 32147
I am cautiously optimistic.

The proofing box arrived. By magic. It’s Sunday, so I doubt UPS is responsible. It was not there this morning when I was doing outside chores at 0800. When I went out at 1130, the box was sitting outside my yard fence. Upside down. I’m hoping it wasn’t dropped or thrown.

I didn’t hear anyone in the driveway. But it could have been when I was in the shower. Since it was outside the fence, I suspect it was whoever received it; and they didn’t come into the yard to knock on the door.

When I got it inside, I realized the single strip of shipping tape had been cut. But it doesn’t look like anything in the box was disturbed.

I have it set up now to run about 5-6 degrees higher than my kitchen temp to be sure it works after its weekend adventure. I just wish I knew who dropped it off so I could thank them.

We have a public forum in our daily paper where people will say thank you when someone does something for them like this that was done for you.

Sally PB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Oh there’s a mat and gloves?
My neighbor warned me that "you will find any thin spots in your oven mitts when you use a Dutch oven to bake sourdough at 450!" That's why I got the gloves. I already KNOW my mitts have thin spots. :hmm
Do you by chance grind your own flour? We have whole wheat berries and I always grind my wheat flour fresh. It is SUPERIOR to the pre-milled wheat flour that you'd buy in the store.
GF flour is expensive, so I'm starting to grind my own. I used my Blendtec blender on short grain brown rice; it's a bit gritty. I have a juicer that has a grinding attachment, and that ground it a bit finer, though it still has more texture than store bought. Long grain white rice did a little better yet.

I want to try making oat flour and quinoa flour. And maybe tapioca. All the GF SD recipes call for a few different flours. I need to find some sorghum flour; that's a common one in GF. I went to the health food store I usually go to, and nada. I looked it up online, and guess who says they have it! Walmart!

@musikfan, what do you use to grind your flour? Can you post a picture too? Thanks!

Sequel

Enabler
6 Years
Feb 17, 2015
Kitsap County, Western Washington
That's one of the ideas behind the silicone mat I ordered. You put the dough on the mat, lift the whole thing, and set it down in the Dutch oven.

I will definitely give a report after I use it. See if it was worth $20.

Speaking of $20, I got a pair of "Ove Gloves" at the store today. Rated for 540 degrees. :eek: So the mere 450-500 of the Dutch oven should be no problem, I hope!

Dang. I just added up $80 for a Dutch oven, $20 for the silicone mat, $20 for the Ove Glove, $15 for the GF starter, and I have a really, really expensive loaf of bread!

But then the rest are just a couple bucks. And I have a Dutch oven, the mat, and the gloves.
Yes but Sally do you bowl? A couple trips to the bowling alley poof all that money gone! Do you have a pony? Me neither so look at all the money we’re entitled to spend on baking supplies!

Top Bottom