Any Hope for bloody chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GiGi123, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    I went to check how hatching was doing and the broody hen looked like she was eating one of her babies.
    I removed all the hatched babies including the one that was getting eaten. It's butt is all bloody. It's still breathing though. Can i put some kind of medication on the wound.
    If there any hope for my little chick?

thank you,
    Gigi

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I would recommend washing the wound with saline and using Vetericyn or Neosporin on it. If it is still bleeding, get a clean t-shirt or cloth diaper and apply direct pressure to the area (don't be rough, just enough pressure to help the bleeding stop). Clean and treat once the bleeding has largely stopped.

3. ReeseTheChick

ReeseTheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Quote:x2 and yes I do think there may be some hope for your chick.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    flour on the wound should also stop the bleeding if a little pressure doesn't do it. Neosporin is very good for such things. good luck!

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen corn starch stop bleeding better than flour but you use pretty much what you can grab first. Suggest segregating the injured bird if possible till it's healed some. Those little bugger seem to love eating on each other if given the slightest opportunity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by