1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any hope for our last 3???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by juliemom25, May 6, 2011.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Well so far our first hatch has gone extremely well. We are using our Brinsea Octagon 20 with auto turner. Temps and humidity have been great throughout. The only bad thing is that I did "lockdown" 2 days early, but I don't think that could mess things up too much and we kept the humidity great. We had 15 Delewares shipped to us and 1 broke on the way. The other 14 looked great when candled until day 16, then we didn't candle anymore. We had 11 chicks hatch yesterday (woke up to 2 hatched and number 11 hatched around midnight). They looked amazing. I was prepared for sticky chickies, stuck chickies, you name it after reading all that can go wrong, but the 11 that hatched seem perfect. So, 11 for 14 with shipped eggs and our first hatch is great I know. We have 3 left though in the incubator and I would love to see them hatch. I know they were all laid at the same time and those 3 have not pipped. We thought for sure that we saw them move yesterday more that once, but maybe our eyes were deceiving us. What are the chances of them making it at this point? We are only at day 22, but how likely is it that they are this far behind everyone else?

Thanks so much!

Edited to add: Is there a point where it would make sense to make our own little pip to see if we could save them?

Julie

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I usally give em till day 25 then open em up sowly from where the air sac is just to be sure they are realy gone.Some times you can candle them andsee they quit early on.

3. gfcm

gfcm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Florissant
    I hope the 3 hatch for you! That's an awesome hatch from shipped eggs or not!

4. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I wouldn't mess with making a 'pip' in the egg in effort to save them.
    They may not be ready, and if you pip the egg for them, you could cause some damage.

I'd give them 'till day 25-26 as others suggested. It's actually perfectly normal to have

hatches on day 22, so who knows. You could she some action later on!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by