Any hope for pullet with vent gleet?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
8 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
It's been rough the past few days. Between losing 3 of last month's chicks, and now a sick pullet, I'm losing my mind. :(

Anyhow, the afflicted little girl has been feeling quite poorly since Sunday....unfortunately, it took me until yesterday to possibly pinpoint her illness. White discharge from vent, crusted behind, foul odor, lethargy, and lack of appetite seem to point to vent gleet, right? :confused: Yogurt/ACV haven't made a vast difference thus far. Her condition seems to be worsening, sadly. She sat in a corner for over 3 hours tonight without moving an inch.

Is there anything else I should be doing? :hmm Nothing's worse than watching my precious little girl suffer.

~Alex

Alex I'm sorry to hear about your hen :hugs

How old is she?
Do you have photo of the vent?

Have you been able to wash her up and get all the crust/nastiness off her so you can examine her more closely?
Once you wash her up, apply an anti-fungal cream to the vent. It can take time to resolve. See that she's eating fresh food and has fresh water. The ACV and a little bit of yogurt is o.k.

I would monitor the crop as well, see that it's emptying overnight.

Get some Monistat 7 from the grocery store. You may add a small glob of it on their food, or on a small piece of bread and let them eat some for about 5 days. Make sure all of them get some of it. In addition, apply some of it around their vents.

Thank you all so much for your sweet, helpful replies. :hugs Sadly, she ended up passing that very night. :( It breaks my heart, as Brassy Back hens are among the prettiest and most personable of all OEGB varieties.

On a lighter note, the chick actively dying in my lap while writing this post, survived. :wee

~Alex

Thank you all so much for your sweet, helpful replies. :hugs Sadly, she ended up passing that very night. :( It breaks my heart, as Brassy Back hens are among the prettiest and most personable of all OEGB varieties.

On a lighter note, the chick actively dying in my lap while writing this post, survived. :wee

~Alex
I'm sorry to hear you lost her Alex :hugs
That is good news that the chick survived. Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom