Any hope for this chick?

Mel281

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Minneapolis-ish, MN
I've got 8 day old chicks. One of them looks like she's only about two days old, aside from a few feathers on her wings. She's breathing heavy, when I try to drop her syringe feed her, I can hear a clicking noise but I don't think she does it when she's in the brooder.

Hi,
This chickneeds an immediate dose of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutri-Drench. Get smallest bottle at Tractor Supply or local feed store. http://www.nutridrench.com Emergency nutritional supplement. Does not need digesting. All natural. put it in their water for 2 weeks. water should look like very weak tea. Been using it on collies and poultry for over a decade. If not, you are going to lose this chick. The chicks G.I. tract is to weak to uptake other helps. Do not give it other helps, it cannot digest them right now. If you want, you can slip barely one drop into the chicks mouth. No more than that. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until chick is perky. This chick also looks too hot. What is the temp in the brooder? Should be 85-90 degrees. The chick may be dehydrated. Get a thermometer which also measures humidity. Hygrometer sold cheap at Walmart. Too little humidity = dehydrated chicks.
Best,
karen

I would check her vent and make sure it is not clogged. If clooged you can rinse it out gently with some warm water. If you can not get the specific electrolyte replacement that is mentioned above I use pedialyte that is really inexpensive and put about a teaspoonful in a cup of water for them when they are peepers.

The chick needs energy to live . If it is dehydrated, it needs energy to drink and rehydrate itself. At this age, it is all about the properly functioning G.I. tract. The drench will correct weakness and malfunctioning of G.I. tract and help restore the immune system.

I just wanted to leave an update in case anyone comes across this thread and has the same problem.. The chick ended up dying that day. She started doing more clicking, and I had been giving her electrolyte water, but couldn't find the Neutra drench in time. I'm not sure if it would've helped or not, since I have been giving her the sav-a-chick electrolytes already. I might have considered giving her an antibiotic to treat a respiratory infection if I could have gotten some in time, and checked first to see if the future eggs were still edible after having given them.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. The neutra drench may or may not have helped, I don't know. But the fact will always be that some chicks are simply born with an issue and fail to thrive and chicken owners will just always have to deal with that. So to all out there: don't give up on a chick until it dies, but always be prepared to lose a chick.

Back
Top Bottom