Any Hope for this ex-battery ? Bad vent gleet GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cragg Klefor, May 13, 2019.

1. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Hi guys, I got this little one yesterday. She is not very responsive at all. Only takes a step when in pain it seems. Not eating, drinking very little (im drip feeding her). So far, believe it or not I bathed her in epsom salts last night but it didn't do anything for the caked on 'gleet'!? It's unreal. Of course it stinks like death. Her comb is purple, much more so than the photos show. She is standing up with her eyes closed or almost closed all the time. I have her seperated. I am giving her Miconazole, poultry drops (equivalent of nutri-drench) Apple Cider vinegar in her water. I think I need to try a suddy bath to get that stuff off her but I'm not sure she'll make it through. Any suggestions etc would be really gratefully accepted. She has never walked on grass. I would really like to be able to give her the chance to be a chicken. Is there any hope for her?? Or is it gone too far?
    Her crop is empty. She winces in pain at times. I don't know anything about her laying history, only that she has not laid since I got her 24 hrs ago.

I have another one with a bad prolapse which I need to deal with now also but will keep an eye here for any help please on the vent gleet. Thanking you!

Attached Files:

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    You might be able to crunch some of that with pliers and it might come off more in the next bath.

3. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thanks @PirateGirl Yes I'll be trying another bath very shortly. The problem is it is caked to her skin, there are no feathers there so I don't think I would be skilled enough with a pliers to get it off her skin without causing a lot of damage. Another bath might hopefully show me more though. Poor girl.

Wyorp Rock and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    I should have mentioned, her vent is extremely swollen, but the skin almost looks dead. I doubt it shows in the photos. Will try get better ones after next bath.

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  5. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Could you shave it off?

6. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    With a blade? I'm not certain what you mean? I'm having visions here of shaving her skin off!! But, I will try whatever I can if it'll help her.

7. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    Electric razor?

8. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Wow I would never have thought of that - fair play to you! I don't have an electric razor, but I'd get one if I thought it would work. Do you think it would be safe to use on her? I'm not sure what exactly is underneath all that stuff. Her skin is in a bad way it seems.

chkva and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  9. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    I'm a veterinary technician and we use an electric razor to shave off extreme matts on dogs and cats, just be careful ..the skin can be like paper.

10. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Thank you! I will try get my hands on one today. I hope she hangs in there. It seems touch and go with her right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: