Any hope in reducing the poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaJohnson, Apr 28, 2009.

1. MamaJohnson

MamaJohnson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    Any suggestions on reducing (or even eliminating [​IMG]) the amount of poop that ends up in the chicks food? Here is a picture of the feeder in my brooder. Every day I'm in there, cleanin' up. I just can't stand to leave it in there, but the daily pickin' out of (can't believe how many!) all the poop peices is driving me a little up the wall too! Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. R@ndy

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Taneytown
    They are quite the pooping machines. With my chicks I noticed that from 1 week to 2 weeks there was a big increase in fertilizer. Not to sure it can be controlled very well.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Put both the feeders and waters at back height so they have to stand up tall to eat or drink. That way they will bill less out and can't scratch into the food. Plus, if it's higher than their backs, they can't just turn around and drop one into the dish.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Is there a way you can raise your feeder so that they can get their beaks into it but not their butts? I put mine up on a brick and I'm not getting any poop in my feeder. Maybe that will help.

Laurie

5. Chickiechick

Chickiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Cottage Grove , Oregon
    I had the same problem until I moved the both the feeder and waterer.
    My water sits up on a brick. The feeder is like yours so I rigged up a hanger to elevate it from the top of the brooder.
    Now it's at back level and no more pooping in the food [​IMG]

With the water, if you stack it on something make sure it's stable and level otherwise the water may run out and soak everything.

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I noticed th ebowl of oyster shell in your pic. You really don't need it, and really shouldn't have it in there, until they start to lay. To much calcium can cause problems.

7. MamaJohnson

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:? I was worried because they eat all the bugs that come into there. Don't they need this?

8. MamaJohnson

Mar 12, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you so much everyone! I'm out right now to put the feeder and waterer on bricks. [​IMG] Here's hoping it works!

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Quote:? I was worried because they eat all the bugs that come into there. Don't they need this?

They may need grit, but not oyster shell. Grit helps them digest food other than chick starter. Oyster shell is a source of calcium for layers. If you can't find chick grit at your feed store, try parakeet grit from the petstore. Just make sure it's calcium-free.

[​IMG]

10. DODALDO

DODALDO Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    EASTERN COLROADO
    I see that your feeder is a flat top with a lip around the edge? What the chicks are problibly doing is roosting on top of the feeder and pooping down in to it instead of backing up to it.
    Try to find or make a cone for it so they can't roost on the top, hanging it might help untill they learn to swing with it. And putting them on a brick will help keep the wood chips,straw, bedding from getting in to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by